Doing the same routine at the gym every day (or even a few times a week) can get boring pretty fast. Switching things up is always a good idea, and if you’re in the market for a new routine, why not give metabolic circuit training a try?
Why Choose Metabolic Circuit Training?
Whether you’re in the gym three days a week or five, your body grows used to what it’s doing. When you’re doing the same exercises and routines day after day and week after week, you most likely end up hitting a plateau. Your weight loss may level off or you might find you’re not building much muscle.Â That’s when you need to attack your fitness goals in another way.
What are the Benefits?
- It fits nicely into your current routine, and is a great way to give your body something different from what it’s been used to
- It typically burns more fat than regular steady-state cardio options
- It helps raise your excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), which means you’ll still be burning calories when you’re done exercising
- If you eat and rest properly, you can complete metabolic circuit training workouts up to three times every week
This Week’s Workout
The general idea for this week’s routine is to complete three rounds of the circuit. It’s simple: complete the number of reps and rest the remainder of every minute. You’ll start the next set of reps at the top of the next minute.
There are two circuits for you to choose from. You’re also free to design your own circuit, but remember to choose compound exercises for the best benefits.
Â Cool-Down & Recovery
For a cool down this week, take a dip in a pool, if you have access to one. Swim a few laps at a slower pace and let your heart rate return to normal. If you don’t have access to a pool, do some jumping jacks instead.
A healthy recovery depends on you getting proper amounts of protein and water, and replenishing your electrolytes. Some of my supplement choices are listed below:
- Vega Sport Chocolate Performance Protein from Vega
- Coconut Cashew QuestBar Protein Bar from Quest Nutrition
- Endure Performance Electrolyte from Trace Minerals
Have you tried metabolic circuit training before? We’d love to hear your results. Please leave us a comment below!
If you like our posts, don’t forget to enter your email below to receive every new post in your inbox!