Did you know your access to nutritional supplements is under attack? It is, and time is running out for you to make your voice heard. Â October 1st is the deadline to submit your comments to the FDA, your US senators, and members of congress, to make sure you’ll still have access to the the life giving, life saving, nutritional supplements we’ve all come to depend on. This is serious, friends, and we don’t have much time!
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- In 1994 Congress passed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA). The law states that “the Federal Government should not take any actions to impose unreasonable regulatory barriers limiting or slowing the flow of safe products and accurate information to consumers.”
- Now, 17 years later, the FDA is once again, raising its tyrannical hand. This -beaurocratic mandate will make all supplement ingredients introduced or modified since Oct. 15, 1904Â ( when DSHEA became law) to be considered “new dietary ingredients” or NDIs. Â This would mean that any NDI would be required to undergo extensive safety testing and an approval process like that in the pharmaceutical industry, in order to stay on the market.
- So everything from curcumin, resveratrol, ubiquinol, or any natural occurring nutrient found in our food that’s Â been on the market these past 17 years is under attack. They would each be forced to undergo this expensive and burdensome process before you’d have access to it again in a supplement.
- Don’t be fooled! This is not about the safety and efficacy of your supplements. Â It’s about the pharmaceutical industry using its billions of dollars to strong-arm, (lobby) the FDA to impede and control the manufacturing and sale of nutritional supplements. In fact the FDA has raised its so-called “user-fees” Â bringing an additional $40.4 million dollars to its budget,Â and Big-Pharma is more than happy to pay! Think about this – the FDA receives over 60% of its income from the very people it’s supposed to protect us from!
1) Â Visit the website of the Alliance for Natural Health at anh-usa.orgÂ for additional information. They’re taking the lead in challenging the FDA’s proposed guidelines. They’ll show you how you can take action on this issue (email, fax or phone) to let your voice be heard. They recommend phoning your legislators to have more impact. A sample letter is below for your convenience.
2) Â Make a donation to the Alliance for Natural Health! When it comes to fighting Big Pharma and the government, it’s David vs. Goliath. Â It’s expensive to lobby and file lawsuits. Â The address for ANH is: 1350 Connecticut Ave NW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC Â 20036. You can also donate online at anh-usa.org.
Please help us push back! Natural Healthy Concepts is grateful for your business and we look forward to partnering with you in your health and your health freedoms!
Dear (Legislator, FDA Commissioner, etc.)
Re: Draft Guidance for Industry: Dietary Supplement; New Dietary Ingredient Notification and Related Issues
The FDA’s proposed regulations for dietary supplements are overly restrictive and would greatly impact both my health freedoms and my access to nutritional supplements. It’s my belief that implementing these regulations would be in direct opposition to the original intent of the DSHEA.
I urge you and your colleagues to uphold the original law and force the FDA to stop this oppressive move against the dietary supplement industry. My health freedoms and access to nutritional supplements are at stake.
- FDA “Negotiating” to Get More Money from Big Pharma – Again! (anh-usa.org)
- A Call to Action: Save Your Supplements! (prweb.com)
- NDI guidance public comments: Don’t just revise it, ditch it (mobile.nutraingredients-usa.com)
- NYT Launches Attack on Supplement-Protecting Senator – Just as DSHEA Comes under Renewed Threat (anh-usa.org)
No comments yet.