We’ve all been there…you start your day off looking forward to the workout you have planned for later in theÂ dayÂ but your excitement (and energy) start to dwindle as the day goes by.
The benefits and importance of a healthy diet and proper nutrition for exercise are well-known and post workout supplements have been widely studied. However, less is known about the effects of supplementation before a workout. Recent research suggests that the pre-workout supplement might be even more important than post-workout supplementation.
Pre-Workout Supplement Research
Many athletes consume supplements before a workout in hopes of increasing their power and improving their reaction time. Studies claim that pre-workout supplements can actually improve perceived feelings of focus, energy and alertness. This can result in anÂ improvementÂ in performance by reducing feelings of fatigue and actual fatigue.
Extreme Edge from Bluebonnet is one of our most popular pre-workout supplement lines. Better Nutrition Magazine named the Extreme Edge line a winner in its Best of Supplements Awards in 2012.
It contains this unique blend of ingredients designed to improve workout performance:
- Â A stimulant that can help increase overall energy and reduce fatigue during exercise. Caffeine helps to mobilize fat stores and promotes the use of fat as fuel. This saves glycogen which is then available during the end stages of a workout where fatigue usually sets in. Caffeine may also help lower your perceived exertion and reduce your muscle pain during exercise.
- An amino acid that may help improve overall power and muscular endurance. Arginine plays an important role in muscle growth, fat reduction and immune system health. L-arginine works by increasing blood flow to the muscles which stimulates muscle growth. This increased blood flow can lead to quicker muscle repair after a heavy workout.
- Commonly used by athletes and body builders looking to gain muscle mass and improved athletic performance. Evidence suggests that short term creatine use can improve performance in high-intensity exercise.
- An amino acid that supportsÂ enhancedÂ sport performance. Taurine may help improve mental performance by improving attention and verbal reasoning. It also may improve athletic performance by increasing the amount of time until exhaustion sets in.
- Increased energy without a crash later on during the workout.
- Improved mental focus.
- Greater blood flow to muscles resulting in improved performance.
- Recharge muscles to quickly reduce fatigue.
If your workouts have been lacking lately, consider trying a pre-workout supplement and see how it benefits you!
The Blender Bottle SportMixer is one of our most popular products for mixing sports and supplement drinks. It’s a fast, easy way to mix powdered drinks. You can also check out our complete line of sports and exercise nutrition supplements. We have a large variety of amino acid, protein and other supplements designed specifically for athletes.
That is really a good post. You made some really good points and I am grateful for your research. This information helps all of us to stay fit and healthy in our day to day life. Thanks for the tips. It is pointless to go to the gym and not eat right. You body needs lots of rest and good food to build muscle.The benefits of body building for a physical boost are clear and proven.
Thank you, Robbin! You are so right, proper nutrition is so important to get the most out of your workouts. Thanks for reading!
Thank you for your article about pre-workout supplements. I would check more into Extreme Edge.
Thanks, Phil! Definitely check into the Extreme Edge. Bluebonnet is a great brand!
It’s true that most people are just aware about the benefits of post workout supplements. I agree that many athletes consume supplements before a workout in order to improve their performance. There are many advantages of pre-workout supplements and people should be aware about it as well. Thanks for sharing the article Laura !
Thanks for reading!
Have read a lot of articles about pre workout supplements and you know what ? This one is most interesting and informative. Thank you Laura.
Glad you liked it! Extreme Edge is a great pre-workout supplement with the key ingredients but none of the toxic additives like Sucralose, Aspartame, artificial colors, etc.
Thanks for the info Theresa! Any opinion on this product? http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Sport-Creatine-Preworkout-Electric/dp/B00VAPR8YK was thinking about buying it because it had no creatine.
Creatine is creatine. Just try to find the one that works best with your body. There are so many expensive creatine products sold in supplement shops – all you really need is creatine monohydrate and I recommend the Dr Max Powers Creatine Pills (even though they have 3 types of creatine). I’ve seen better results with the Dr Max Powers Creatine vs. the Optimum Nutrition creatine. I’ve seen an increase in strength and size as well but make sure you are careful. Always stay hydrated.
I also don’t do the loading cycles as well because I’ve seen results without it.