Let’s face it, thereâs nothing more annoying than chapped lips! But before you reach for your store-bought balm, you may want to think about switching to a natural lip balm. Keep reading to learn why.
Using lip balm is an important daily routine, as the skin on the lips is different from the skin on the rest of the body. While the majority of your skin has sebaceous glands that help create natural oils to keep your body moisturized and melanin to keep it protected from sun, lip skin has neither. Lip skin is also thinner and finer, which is why it is much easier for your lips to get dry and chapped. Lip balm helps restore moisture and protection to your lips, keeping them healthy and soft.
But not all lip balms are created equal.
While the primary purpose of lip balms is to add an extra layer that seals-in moisture and protects from external exposure like dry air, cold temperatures and wind, many store-bought balms use chemicals and synthetic ingredients to do so. But given the sensitivity and vulnerability of the skin on your lips, these unnatural products may do even more harm than good. Synthetic lip balms may include ingredients like petrolatum, which is a waste by-product from oil extraction that can contain carcinogens, and unregulated fragrances that can hide endocrine disruptors, harmful chemicals, and other toxins.
Maybe itâs time to try something different!
Why Choose a Natural Lip Balm
Natural lip balm is the perfect choice if youâre looking for a way to keep your lips soft and supple without the harmful side-effects of synthetic lip balms.
Natural Lip Balm is Chemical Free & Nutrient Rich
Can you pronounce all the ingredients on your lip balm? If not, it may be time to switch. While synthetic lip balms can contain chemicals, pesticides, or other unnatural additives, natural lip balms have all the ingredients your lips need to thrive â¦ and nothing they donât. Made with ingredients to nourish and repair the delicate skin on your lips, natural lip balms often contain organic ingredients like beeswax, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, shea butter, grapeseed oil, aloe vera, vitamins E and C, and olive oil â just to name a few!
Natural Lip Balm is Eco-Friendly
Be a friend to your body and the planet with natural lip balm. Because ingredients in natural lip balm occur in the environment, they also have less impact on the Earth when they are disposed of. On the flipside, synthetic balms sometimes contain ingredients that are harmful to the environment, either through how they are extracted or how they are manufactured. For example, some balms are made with petroleum-based products, which are obtained by drilling, and they may also use unnatural ingredients that produce damaging byproducts.
Natural Lip Balm is Cruelty Free
Like many synthetic cosmetics, unnatural lip balms are not held to a high standard when it comes to animal testing. However, many makers of organic lip balms are committed to creating products that are 100% cruelty-free. They donât use any ingredients derived from animals, nor do they conduct any animal testing. That makes natural lip balm a great choice for people who are vegetarian or vegan.
Top 10 Natural Lip Balm Products to Try â¦ Right Now!
If youâre ready to start exploring natural lip balm, youâre in luck. There are hundreds to try! Here are some of our favorite brands and products, all available from Natural Healthy Concepts.
- Aubrey Organics â This natural personal care brand features products that contains all organic ingredients and great flavors. Weâre a big fan of the Tangerine Organic Lip Balm!
- Carlson Labs â The E-Gem Lip Care Lip Balm from Carlson Labs includes a healthy dose of vitamin E.
- Good Earth â Natural lip balms from Good Earth help protect from harsh weather and come in fun fragrances like Spicy Chai Lip Butter and Rosemary Mint Lip Butter.
- Hyalogic â The main ingredient in Hyalogicâs Episilk HA Lip Balm is hyaluronic acid, which occurs naturally in the body to support collagen production in the skin.
- Kiss My Face â These natural lip balm products have the added benefit of sun protection. The Sport Lip Balm has SPF 30!
- Badger â We especially love the inventive flavors that Badger comes up with, like Vanilla Bean Cocoa Butter Lip Balm and Sweet Orange Cocoa Butter Lip Balm.
- Miessence â Looking for a natural lip balm with some added color? Lip Creme from Miessence is a great alternative to synthetic lipstick!
- Naked Bee â Made with organic beeswax and other natural ingredients, Naked Bee lip balm products are perfect for moisturizing your lips and protecting them from chapping. Try out the Pomegranate & Honey Organic Lip Balm or the Lotus Flower Natural Lip Color.
- Terry Naturally â We love the Omega 7 Sea Buckthorn Lip Balm from Terry Naturally! Itâs derived from sea buckthorn, a shrub native to the Himalayas, whose oil is known to nourish skin tissues.
- Weleda â The Everon Lip Balm from Weleda is made with gentle and nurturing ingredients like jojoba oil and rose wax to help your lips feel soft and smooth every day.
Bonus! We also love Alba Botanicaâs Very Emollient Sunblock Lip Care SPF 25, which is a hydrating sunblock for lips made with 100% natural and organic ingredients, such as soybean oil and vitamin E. Their products are never tested on animals.
Which natural lip balm will you pick? These are just some of our favorites, but there are countless options to try! Play around with different kinds and let us know in the comments below when you find the one thatâs perfect for you.