Are you looking for a natural way to get relief from seasonal allergy symptoms, such as a runny nose, congestion, sneezing, and sinus discomfort? If so, then a flushing solution may be the correct answer!
But before rushing out to buy a product (some that we will recommend below), you may want to consider making your own flushing solution at home. Using a saline solution to irrigate the nose and sinuses can be an effective way to improve allergy symptoms and potentially shorten the intensity and duration of sinus infections.
Benefits of Sinus Flushing Solutions
While too much irrigating of your sinuses can cause a depletion of the natural immune cells in your mucus, those who suffer from allergies may benefit from using a sinus flushing solution once a day to once every other day.
Irrigating your nasal passages with a sinus flushing solution keeps your nose clean, decreases the bacteria count inside your nose and sinuses, and helps flush out irritants. At the same time, you are giving yourself relief from uncomfortable symptoms and may be lowering your risk of developing conditions that can result from microorganisms.
Irritants, allergens, or viruses also contribute to number of health issues and discomfort. The result is a feeling illness, loss of sleep, focus, energy and may lead to a more serious condition that requires medical treatment. A saline sinus flushing solution may be one way of aiding the body’s fight against foreign organisms that can enter the nasal cavity.
Make Your Own Sinus Flushing Solution
You only need a few ingredients to make your own saline sinus flushing solution.
- 3 heaping teaspoons of salt – no iodide or preservatives!
- 1 rounded teaspoon of baking soda.
- 8 ounces of distilled water. You can also boil water and let it come down to room temperature; however, never use tap water. It can contain contaminants typically killed in the gut but may cause serious complications if poured through the nose.
- A soft rubber ear bulb syringe, infant nasal bulb, or a commercial nasal saline rinse bottle.
- Mix the salt with the baking soda and store it in a Ziplock bag.
- Add one teaspoon of your salt-baking soda mixture to your distilled water. If you experience burning or stinging, you can make a less concentrated solution by adding less of the baking soda-salt mixture.
That’s it! To use your sinus flushing solution, follow these steps:
- Draw 8 ounces of your saline solution into your syringe or bottle
- Tilt your head downward over a sink and rotate it to the left. Squeeze half of the solution gently into the right, or top, nostril. Breathe through your mouth, and wait a few seconds until the solution comes out through your left (or bottom) nostril.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Afterward, gently blow out your nose very gently to prevent the solution from going into your ear.
As with any product, talk to your doctor before using your sinus flushing solution, especially if you take other kinds of nasal medication.
If you aren’t comfortable making your own solution, then you may want to learn about the three products below. They may help to support nasal and sinus health and provide relief from allergy and sinus infection symptoms during allergy season.
Sinus Care Kit w/ Sea Salt and Sinus Oil by Baraka
Sinus Care Kit w/ Sea Salt & Sinus Oil from Baraka has everything you need for natural sinus support, including a high-fire nontoxic ceramic neti pot, sinus oil, and mineral sea salt. The sinus rejuvenation oil consists of a blend of decongestant essential oils, including eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, and more; plus, the toxin-free French Atlantic grey sea salt contains beneficial substances that break down mucous naturally. If you’re someone who deals with airborne health irritants and seasonal allergies, this kit may benefit you.
Sinus Rejuvenation Oil by Baraka
Sinus Rejuvenation Oil from Baraka is formulated with essential oils of rosemary, verbenone, eucalyptus dives, spike lavender, green myrtle, inula, and peppermint. This pure blend of essential oils is not meant for use in a Neti pot. Instead, place a dab of it at the base of each nostril and inhale. Sinus Rejuvenation Oil may help rejuvenate your sinuses when used over time.
ACS Nasal Spray Extra Strength 3 Bottle Set by Results RNA
For the ultimate nasal cleanse for those with sinus difficulties, try ACS Nasal Spray Extra Strength 3 Bottle Set from Results RNA. Not only does this extra-strength formula support clearing nasal passages, but it also provides powerful immune system support, helping you breathe deep, day and night. Formulated with the patented silver technology of ACS 200 Extra Strength, ACS Nasal Spray Extra Strength Provides instant sinus clearing relief.
Do you have any tips and tricks for making your own sinus flushing solution?