There’s nothing better than spending a warm sunny day outside with your pet – whether you’re on a walk through the neighborhood, through a local park, or on a hike through the woods.
But there’s one big potential downside to romping around outdoors with your pet, and it’s one that can affect both humans and dogs alike: ticks.
Tick season lasts from spring until fall. In other words, if the temperature is warm enough for you to want to be outside, then it’s warm enough for ticks, too.
For humans, tick bites can result in minor discomfort or symptoms (like redness, swelling, or a sore at the bite location), but they can also bring much more serious illnesses, like Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.Â
Dogs and cats can face similar issues if they’re bitten by ticks. For the most part, a tick bite will result in nothing more than some redness, irritation, and itching for your dog. But while it’s very rare, along with Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain fever, tick bites can also lead to anemia, paralysis, or arthritis in your furry friends.
So how to keep ticks off you and your pets this summer? Here are some tips for how to do it naturally.
How to Keep Ticks Off You and Your Pets
- Keep the grass low. Mow your lawn and cut weeds down. Ticks thrive in high vegetation.
- If your pet has long hair, keep their fur groomed and trimmed. This will make it easier to spot and remove a tick quickly.
- Use a lint roller. If you have a short-haired pet (or keep them groomed,) as soon as you come in from a hike through the woods, use a lint roller on both your pet and yourself to pull off any ticks that may have gotten attached without you realizing it.
- Check for ticks every day. Even if you haven’t been in the woods, it’s always good to do a daily inspection of your pet’s fur (and of yourself) for ticks.
- Try lemon eucalyptus oil on your pet. It works as a natural insect repellent against ticks, mosquitos, and biting flies. Just mix 7 drops of lemon eucalyptus oil into 32 ounces of distilled water, and then spray on the mixture on your pet between the shoulder blades. You can spray it on their bedding, too.
In addition to these tips, there are several ways to help and maintain overall feelings of wellness when facing the challenges of warm weather. This includes products from DesBio, Pet Naturals of Vermont, Professional Complementary Health Formulas, and Nutramedix.
Bartonella Series from DesBio
The Bartonella Series from DesBio is a homeopathic formula that seeks to offer support and temporary relief for symptoms related to Lyme disease or other tick-related illnesses, such as rashes, chills, fever, chills, fatigue, joint pain, memory loss, and more. DesBio’s Bartonella Series 1M contains seven strain of Bartonella for temporary relief from occasional pain and fever, disruptions to sleep and cognition, and more.Â
Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs and Cats of All Sizes from Pet Naturals of Vermont
If you want to keep your cat or dog tick and flea-free all summer, but don’t want to use any toxic chemicals, then try Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs and Cats of All Sizes from Pet Naturals of Vermont. Flea + Tick Spray for Pets from Pet Naturals of Vermont uses a blend of specially formulated Brazilian oils such as lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, sesame oil, and castor oil from certified forests to help protect your pets against fleas and ticks.
Tick Pathogen Nosode Drops from Professional Complementary Health Formulas
Sometimes, despite your best prevention efforts, tick bites can still occur. If you’ve been bitten by a tick, consider Tick Pathogen Nosode Drops from Professional Complementary Health Formulas. This homeopathic formula seeks to support temporary relief of symptoms such as minor aches in the muscles or joints, chills, sweats, fatigue, occasional headache, or nausea.
Teasel from Nutramedix
If you want to support your body’s natural defense system, consider Teasel from Nutramedix. Teasel from Nutramedix. This formula contains Teasel root extract, an herbal supplement that seeks to provide a defense against foreign microbes. What is unique about Teasel is that it uses highly bioavailable liquid for optimal absorption. Nutramedix’s unique enhancement process optimizes the whole herb for a more broad-spectrum extract.
How do you keep ticks off you and your pets in the summer?
No comments yet.