Tis the season for holiday parties and holiday foods. We all tend to indulge in the constant rotation of holiday goodies that get passed around the office, at parties, or perhaps at your own home during family gatherings. A little indulgence is fine, but if you donâ€™t watch yourself you can easily end up consuming thousands of extra calories, and in turn, packing on the holiday pounds. The good news is, there are plenty of healthy holiday foods that you can enjoy without all the guilt. So at your next holiday party, try to â€œEat This, Not That.â€
5 Healthy Holiday Favorites
Appetizers and Sides
1. Eat This: Veggies and Hummus â€“ This is a great option for snacking at holiday parties. Hummus is low in both calories and carbohydrates. Itâ€™s high in good fat because of its sesame and olive oil content, plus it naturally contains a good amount of plant protein, which will satisfy you quicker and keep you fuller for longer.
Not That: Veggies And Ranch Dressing â€“ Cream based dressing are super high in calories and saturated fat.
2. Eat This: Garlic Mashed Cauliflower â€“ Donâ€™t knock it until you try it. Mashed cauliflower is actually delicious, and add garlic to the mix and this healthy holiday recipe will quickly become one of your favorites. Plus, cauliflower contains vitamin C and K, and is a great support for your immune system.
Not That: Mashed Potatoes or Loaded Baked Potatoes
3. Eat This: Bruschetta or Salsa â€“ The snack table at a holiday party can be lethal on your diet, so important to make good choices when youâ€™re going in for a quick bite. Both bruschetta and salsa are low in calories and pack a lot of flavor. Plus they are a powerful natural antioxidant, and are packed with vitamin C, potassium, and folate.
Not That: Spinach and Artichoke Dip
4. Drink This: Pomegranate Martini â€“ The holidays are the perfect time to break out the spirits and enjoy yourself with friends and family, just make sure your drink isnâ€™t loaded with calories. Vodka is always a healthier choice and goes great with pomegranate juice by Jarrow Formulas, which tastes great and is rich in antioxidants. Try this recipe from Oprah!
Not That: Eggnog or Chocolate Martinis â€“ they are loaded with fat and calories!
5. Drink This: Holiday Smoothies â€“ Make holiday mornings or snack time special with these delicious (and healthy) holiday smoothies. With flavors like healthy egg nog, gingerbread and apple cider, there are so many flavors you can play with that embody the holiday spirit. Bonus points if you use a healthy fiber supplement such as Organic Triple Fiber by Renew Life, or a healthy gut probiotic powder , also by Renew Life, to support healthy digestion.
Not That: Cinnamon Rolls â€“ We know, theyâ€™re delicious, but with 700-1,000 calories per roll, are they really worth it? Consider switching this holiday treat this year.
Additional Weight Management Support
For additional metabolism and weight management support, try MediBolic with Madeglycyl by Thorne Research, a gluten-free protein powder with soluble fiber. (You must be logged into your Natural Healthy Concepts account to purchase this item.) Also try certified organic Trim Support by Banyan Botanicals, which offers similar metabolism support.
Itâ€™s easy to enjoy holiday foods without paying for them later with weight gain. You just have to reduce holiday stress, know what to eat, and what to avoid. (Read more healthy holiday eating tips here!)
What holiday favorites do you like to substitute at your own holiday parties? Tell us in the comments below!