Itâ€™s no secret that modern food production has gotten out of control. Most of us live in a constant mode of choice. We are lucky to be able to choose what we eat because itâ€™s readily available to us. However, that choice comes with consequences, because more often than not, we choose what tastes good, not necessarily whatâ€™s best for our body. Thatâ€™s because the food that tastes good is often loaded with salt and sugar, ingredients that keep us coming back for more, while prompting us to turn our back on bitter foods that are actually essential to a healthy diet and proper digestion. The good news is, priming your digestive system with an herbal supplement such as gentian bitters may help you address both those issues. Keep reading to learn more about gentian bitters and gut health!
What are Gentian Bitters?
A dietary â€œbitterâ€ is a plant extract with a strong and pungent taste that is taken to invoke our bodyâ€™s natural digestion response. Specifically, gentian bitters such as Sweetish Bitters Elixir from Gaia Herbs, is derived from the gentian plant which has been used by herbalists for centuries for its medicinal properties.
7 Reasons to Try Gentian Bitters
- Supports Healthy Digestion â€“ Studies show that when our bodies are exposed to a bitter flavor, the digestive response flares up immediately. Saliva begins to pool in our mouths, and digestive juices are triggered in our stomach and digestive organs. This natural response is our bodyâ€™s way of preparing for what is coming. With the digestive system alert and activated, many people note an improvement in how they feel after they eat.
- Promotes Regular Visits to the Bathroom â€“ The key to a healthy digestive tract is the regular and proper removal of waste. Many people who use gentian bitters report more regular bowel movements and less bloating and gas after heavy meals.
- May Curb Sugar Cravings â€“ There is research to suggest that using gentian bitters before meals may block the pleasure signal in the brain that is responsible for sugar cravings. That makes sense, because if you have a mouth full of bitter flavors, itâ€™s not likely that youâ€™re next move will be to reach for that cupcake. Hey, itâ€™s at least worth a shot, right?
- May Soothe the Symptoms of Indigestion â€“ If you struggle with the uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptoms that can arise during upper digestive activity, gentian bitters could be a natural solution for you. Studies show that not only do gentian bitters seem to soothe the symptoms, but they may also deter complications in the future.
- Supports Healthy Liver Function â€“ Because the liver is part of the digestive system, itâ€™s not surprising that it also benefits from the use of gentian bitters. Healthy digestion encourages the regular cleansing of the liver, and a clean liver is a happy liver!
- May Promote a Healthy Appetite â€“ Our appetite is naturally stimulated by saliva, and saliva production is one of the natural effects of bitters. This can be particularly helpful for those struggling with loss of appetite due to illness.
- Supports Healthy Looking Skin â€“ Gentian bitters are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Itâ€™s also known to act as a natural anti-inflammatory. All of these things act to enhance the look and feel of healthy skin through the natural detoxification of the body.
Have you seen improvements to your health while using gentian bitters? Tell us about it in the comments below!