Dry skinâ€¦ why does it always seem to invite itself along when it isnâ€™t wanted? Spring, summer, fall and winter â€“ here it comes, perhaps popping up in different areas depending on the weather. Itâ€™s common, we all deal with it â€“ which is why everywhere you look, lotions, creams and other dry skin support products are being offered. But, did you know that in addition to moisturizers, there are other ways to beat dry skin? Itâ€™s true, our everyday habits play a big part in whatâ€™s happening with our skin. Read ahead to find out what you could be doing better.
What Causes Dry Skin
Dry skin is usually an environmental issue. Meaning, what we are exposing our skin to is what is causing it to dry out and become itchy and irritated. Plus, it doesnâ€™t look as good. Hot and cold weather are big dry skin culprits. Same with low humidity, taking hot showers or baths, sitting in front of the fireplace and simply turning the heat on in your house or car. Yeah, basically all the things we love to do to relax and get comfy are bad for your skin. Soaps, laundry detergents and cleaners are also part of the problem. Wow, that was just a whole paragraph full of bad news, but donâ€™t worry â€“ the good news is ahead!
Tips to Avoid Dry Skin
- Turn Down the Heat â€“ Try showering with warm water rather than hot, and try to keep them under 10 minutes. If a nice hot bath is the only thing that gets you through the day, try adding a moisturizing bubble soak to the tub, such as Everyday Shea Moisturizing Bubble Bath by Alaffia.
- Apply Moisturizer Immediately â€“ The moment you step out of the shower or bath is the time to put on face and body moisturizer (gently pat your skin dry with a towel first). Why? Well, the second you step foot out of the water and steam, that moisture begins to evaporate from your skin very quickly, adding lotion quickly traps that moisture in and protects the natural oils in your skin.
- Wear Gloves â€“ Whether they are winter gloves to protect your hands from the harsh cold, or rubber gloves to protect them from cleansers while youâ€™re doing the dishes, gloves are important to help beat dry skin.
- Use Natural Soaps â€“ Consider an all purpose soap such as Dr. Bronnerâ€™s 18-in-1 Hemp Almond Pure Castile Soap. This stuff is amazing, not only will it moisturize and protect your skin (it contains a variety of vegetable-based oils) but you can use it for just about anything! It works as a hand soap, body wash, dish soap â€“ you can even wash laundry with it!
- Get More Collagen â€“ Itâ€™s no secret that collagen is the secret weapon behind younger, healthy-looking skin â€“ but weâ€™re not talking about plastic surgery here. Collagen is a natural protein that can be taken as a supplement, ingested with a dissolvable powder or peptide, or applied topically with a cream or ointment. Try it yourself and let us know if you see a difference!
- Wear a Lip Balm â€“ Our lips are one of the areas that is very susceptible to dry skin that we usually forget to take care of. Simply using a moisturizing lip balm such as Buttercream Lip Butter by Good Earth everyday can help soothe chapped, sore lips and help protect them from future damage.
- Choose High Quality Natural Facial Cleansers and Moisturizers â€“ Donâ€™t make dry skin worse by using protects that contain chemicals or synthetic materials. Opt for all natural options and youâ€™ll likely notice a change quickly. Some other natural skin care brands we love are Aubrey Organics and Alba Botanica. Browse around to find whatâ€™s best for you!
How do you fight back against dry skin? Tell us what works for you in the comments below!