As parents, weâre always encouraging our kids to take in more calcium for stronger bones and a healthy metabolism. But what about ourselves? Calcium is crucial to our bodies as we age, especially for women. It can prevent bone loss and painful osteoporosis. So, why not make calcium consciousness a family affair? Here are some of our favorite chewable calcium supplements, for kids and adults!
Why is Calcium Important?
Calcium actually plays a major role in our diets, more than just building strong bones. Itâs crucial to proper development in kids and teens, and longevity as adults. Thatâs why taking a chewable calcium supplement is so important. Hereâs a list of all the things calcium does for our bodies, many you probably never even knew about.
- Builds strong bones
- Essential to blood clotting
- Helps muscles to contract
- Strengthens teeth
How to Increase Your Calcium
Everyday, in everything we do, we are losing calcium. It comes out through our sweat, urine, and feces. We also use it to grow our skin nails and hair, depleting our supplies if itâs not regularly replaced. So how can we make sure we are getting enough calcium each day through food and chewable calcium supplements? Well, first, know how much you need each day…
- Babies (0-6 months): 200mg per day
- Babies (6-11 months): 260mg per day
- Children (1-3 years): 700mg per day
- Children (4-8 years): 1,000 mg per day
- Kids and Teens (9-18 years): 1,300 mg per day
- Women (Under 50 Years): 1,000mg per day
- Women (Over 50 Years): 1,200mg per day
- Men (Under 70 Years): 1,000mg per day
- Men (Over 70 Years): 1,200mg per day
Meeting your daily calcium intake is easy. As long as you get enough, it can be achieved through a combination of diet and chewable calcium supplements. When looking for a supplement for either yourself or for your child, make sure you are buying from a high quality and trusted manufacturer. Here are three brands we trust that offer chewable calcium supplements for the whole family.
- Carson Labs â For adults, try these gummies that also include vitamin D3. For kids, try these yummy vanilla chewables.
- Solaray â Try these delicious orange chewable calcium supplements.
- Kirkman â Calcium and vitamin D3 powder and this calcium and magnesium liquid.
Some of the most common foods that are high in calcium include:
- Dairy products (milk, cheese and yogurt)
- Almonds (including almond milk)
- Seeds (poppy, sesame and chia)
- Beans and lentils
If youâd like to try other types of calcium supplements, Natural Healthy Concepts offers a wide range of products, including drink mixes, tablets, and more.
How do you meet your daily calcium intake? Tell us about your supplement routine in the comments below!