So you’ve been thinking about starting a Keto diet? You’ve made a good choice, a Keto diet can not only help you meet your weight loss goals, but it’s a powerful way to get you on the track towards a healthy, whole foods life. Here’s what you need to know before you begin.
What is Keto?
The Keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that is extremely effective at training your body to burn fat for energy. Keto is similar to other low-carb fad diets such as Atkins, except that a true Keto diet focuses more on whole, natural foods and doesn’t allow much in the way of processed, prepackaged foods.
Health Benefits of Keto:
- Weight Loss
- May Improve Insulin Sensitivity in Diabetics
- May Improve Risk Factors for Heart Disease
- Possible Treatment for Pediatric Epilepsy
- May Help Acne Breakouts
- May Reduce Symptoms of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease
How to Start Keto
If possible, remove any sugary, high-carb, prepackaged foods from your home. This makes it easier to stick to the diet when hunger strikes. Next, you’ll want to make a grocery list of Keto-approved foods, and hit the store. Here’s a guide for what to buy, and what to avoid:
Foods to Eat:
- Meat – Grass-Fed Red Meats, Organic Pork and Poultry
- Eggs – Free Range, Pasteurized
- Wild-Caught Fish – Salmon, Tuna, Trout, and Mackerel
- Unprocessed Cheese – Goat, Blue, etc.
- Nuts and Seeds – All natural nuts and seeds apply
- Butter and Oils – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grass-Fed Butters and Creams
- Low-Carb Organic Vegetables –Green Leafy Veggies, Onions, Peppers, etc.
- Organic Avocados
Foods to Avoid:
- All Highly Processed, Packaged Foods
- Sugar and Sugary Foods – Cookies, Ice Cream, Fruit Juices, Soda, Etc.
- Most Fruits – Small portions of Berries are Okay
- Grains and Starches – Rice, Pasta, Cereal, Crackers, Etc.
- Potatoes and Root Vegetables (Such as Carrots)
- All Beans and Legumes
- Alcohol (Has a High Carb Content)
If you’re still stumped as to where to begin, check online for advice on Keto meal plans. When starting a new diet, it’s usually easier to plan meals in advance so you don’t have to think about what whether or not each item you come across meet the Keto requirements. Choose one day a week to focus of meal prep, and knock out all your meals at once.
You’ll also want to pay close attention to your supplement routine. There are many all-natural ketogenic products on the market that can help you get all the nutrients your body needs, while staying consistent with you Keto diet. Here are some key supplements your body craves while on Keto.
Important Keto Supplements
- Fish or Krill Oil
- Vitamin D
- Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes
- Electrolyte Powders
- Exogenous Ketones
- MCT Oil
How has the Keto diet helped you meet your health goals? Tell us in the comments below.