If you’ve been searching for natural ways to support healthy liver function, you’d probably be interested in some of the latest research on silymarin benefits. Silymarin is a powerful flavonoid and is the main active ingredient in the seeds of the milk thistle plant. Documentation of its medicinal use dates back thousands of years, but modern research has shown some very exciting silymarin benefits for those who are struggling with liver complications and even those who just want to be proactive with their health. Learn more about potential silymarin benefits for a liver detox and cleanse in this blog post!
How the Liver Works
Just in case it’s been a while since your last biology class, let’s get refreshed on exactly what the liver does in the body. The liver is actually one of the largest and most vital organs we have. In the most basic terms, you can think of your liver as a filter for everything you put into your body – the good and the bad. It removes toxins and impurities from the blood, adds back the nutrients you need for energy, and redirects those nutrients back to where they’re supposed to go – all while showing the bad stuff the proper exit door. So yeah, your liver is pretty important, which is why taking care of it is one of the smartest things you can do for your body.
How Silymarin Benefits Your Liver
Silymarin has both natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Numerous studies show strong evidence for taking a daily silymarin supplement to support healthy liver function after damage from alcohol or toxins, including those from drugs like acetaminophen that can cause damage to the liver in high doses. Best of all, silymarin (milk thistle) is generally considered safe for most people to take, although if you are pregnant or nursing, its use is highly discouraged. As with any change to your daily supplement routine, you should talk to your healthcare provider first before using any herbs or medications.
Where Can I Get Silymarin?
Silymarin, or milk thistle, is widely available as a capsule supplement and can be found in powdered protein and herbal supplement drinks. Although, milk thistle is available on its own, you will often find it blended with other herbs for optimum liver health. Here are some of our favorite silymarin supplements, available from Natural Healthy Concepts.
- Liver Refresh by NOW Foods – This proprietary blend of herbs and nutrients includes 300 mg of silymarin, as well as artichoke leaf and dandelion root, which are known to promote healthy liver function.
- Liver & Gallbladder Rejuvenator by Blessed Herbs – This blend offers cleansing support for liver and gallbladder detoxification. It combines silymarin with dandelion root, licorice and artichoke leaf, as well as Reishi mushroom extract, schisandra berry, and several other herbs known for their detoxifying properties.
- LivAmend by Body Ecology – This healthy liver blend encourages bile flow and bowel elimination by offering silymarin benefits with wasabi powder and sarsaparilla extract.
- Complete Liver Cleanse by Enzymatic Therapy – This is a two-week liver cleanse designed to promote the removal of toxins from the liver. This product includes fiber and stimulates the flow and removal of bile.
- Liver Detox Plus Silymarin from Professional Botanicals – This blend supports overall liver health and detoxification by including potential silymarin benefits with barberry root bark, wild yam root, fennel seed, and black radish.
Have you used silymarin as a way to support your liver health? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!