The chaste tree goes by many names, including vitex, chasteberry, and Monk’s pepper. Regardless of what you want to call it, the berries of this tree have been used by women dating back more than 2500 years ago to Ancient Greece and Rome. Research has found that the potential chaste tree benefits may support a variety of women’s issues.
Chaste tree is often referred to as “women’s herb” because its properties are said to offer support for a variety of women’s health issues, including fertility and menstruation. While chaste tree doesn’t directly supplement hormones in the body, it may have an impact on hormonal balance by acting on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. In women, this supplements the luteinizing hormone, which may help balance the levels of progesterone and estrogen in the body.
In ancient times, chaste tree berries were thought to be an anaphrodisiac that would dull the sex drive. The chaste tree was given its name because of the belief that it could reduce libido. Roman soldiers prepared a drink from chaste berries to quell their sex drive. In Greece, young women made necklaces out of the berries during the festival of Demeter, to show their commitment to remaining pure.
It wasn’t until the 1950s that a German pharmaceutical company started manufacturing chasteberry extract for issues related to women’s health. Contrary to its historical use, chaste tree supplements and extracts don’t seem to have an impact on sex drive.
While chaste tree may provide support during hormone changes, it can hold other potential advantages for women, too.
5 Potential Chaste Tree Benefits
- Support during aging. Female aging often comes with uncomfortable sensations, such as hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, and more. One study indicates that vitex or chaste tree berry can provide support for these issues.
- Support before monthly cycles. Many women use vitex or chaste tree berry extract to provide support during their monthly cycle. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, about 75 percent of women suffer from backaches, cramps, poor concentration and fatigue leading up to their period. Chaste tree may provide support for this. Another study suggests that vitex could provide support for migraines associated with the menstrual cycle.
- Promotes healthier-looking skin. It’s common for hormonal imbalances to cause acne in both women and men. Chaste tree berry may support healthier-looking skin by balancing hormone levels that can lead to breakouts.
- Provides fertility support. Chaste tree may promote fertility, especially among women who don’t ovulate regularly. According to University of Michigan Health, in a medical trial of 48 women experiencing fertility issues, seven became pregnant after using vitex daily for three months.
- May promote regular monthly cycles. Some women suffer from hormonal imbalances that cause their period to stop altogether at a young age. This is different from menopause, and it may indicate that something in your body isn’t operating correctly! Taking vitex or chaste tree regularly may help regulate prolactin levels and promote a regular cycle.
How to Use Chaste Tree Supplements
Chaste trees produce small, brown berries called chaste tree berries. These berries look similar to peppercorns and they have a bitter taste that is unpleasant to most people. Fortunately, there are plenty of tinctures and capsules on the market that make taking chaste tree supplements a breeze. It’s common for dried, ripe chaste berries to be prepared as a liquid or powdered extract that is then placed into tablets or capsules.
In some cases, chaste tree is combined with other herbs to create a supplement specifically designed for support with issues caused by hormonal changes. If you are interested in trying chaste tree supplements, start by talking to your doctor — especially if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking other medications or supplements that may have an impact on your hormone levels.
Once you get a green light from your doctor, start by browsing our selection of chaste tree supplements at Natural Healthy Concepts. We make it easy to learn about details of each product, including potential chaste tree benefits, product details, suggested usage, and more.
From chaste tree tablets, to liquid extracts, to supplements and more, we have a wide variety of chaste tree products that could suit your needs.