If something has been tested and relied on for thousands of years, it probably can’t hurt to learn a bit more about it… you know, just in case all those people were onto something. The white flowering plant known as dong quai was, and still is, widely used in ancient Chinese medicine. It actually belongs to the same plant family as wild celery and carrots, but it’s the root that is mostly sought out for its medicinal qualities. In fact, all the potential dong quai benefits would take up more time than you’re wanting to spend, so today we’ll just focus on some of the highlights.
Dong Quai Benefits
Here are four surprising dong quai benefits you’ve probably never even heard of:
01. May Support Reproductive Health – There’s a reason that dong quai’s nickname is “The Female Ginseng.” It can have a wide range of benefits for female (and some male) reproductive health. Some of those benefits may include:
- Easing discomforts associated with menstruation.
- Assisting in the containment of symptoms associated with menopause, including hot flashes.
- Potentially benefiting women struggling with fertility issues.
- Supporting regulation of a natural menstrual cycle after ending birth control.
- Supporting men who struggle with premature ejaculation.
- Promoting healthy sperm.
There are many supplements and personal care products that contain dong quai for women and men’s health. Some of our favorites are Menopause Advantage from Reserveage Nutrition and Wild Yam Progesterone Cream from Wise Essentials. Men may want to try a dong quai root extract such as Dong Quai Root Extract 250 Mg capsules by Solaray, or if you’re looking for a liquid option, try Dong Quai Extract by Herb Pharm.
02. May Purify the Blood – Researchers believe that regular use of dong quai may have a purifying and detoxifying effect on the blood. The root contains iron and folic acid and studies have shown that it can be helpful for those with an iron deficiency. Some users claim it also gives them more energy and improved clarity and focus. Try Iron Complex by NOW Foods, and experience the difference it may make for your health.
03. May Help Regulate the Bowels – People who complain about sluggish bowels may find elimination relief as a potential dong quai benefit. Scientists claim that the ancient Chinese herb helps to dilate the blood vessels, which makes blood flow through the body more efficient. It makes sense that as a result things might move quicker in the bathroom too. If you’re looking for help in this area, a good product to try is the Dong Quai Probiotic Drink by Body Ecology.
04. May Help Keep Blood Pressure in Normal Range – Those who struggle with inconsistent blood pressure may find regulation by using dong quai, although more research is needed to confirm this claim. Again, the key here seems to be the herb’s effect on the dilation of the arteries, which appears to ease pressure and help blood move more freely.
What dong quai benefits have you experienced? We’d love to hear how it has helped you. Tell us in the comments below.[jetpack_subscription_form]