The Deanna Protocol – Hope and Help for People Battling ALS

The-Deanna-Protocol

How would you feel if your child came down with an incurable disease – one which would force you to watch her waste away in a matter of years?

That’s what Dr. Vincent Tedone faced when doctors diagnosed his 30 year-old daughter with ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Dr. Tedone, a retired orthopedic surgeon, was unsatisfied with the treatments and opinions traditional medicine offered his daughter. He began looking into the disease himself using his daughter to test out nutrients and naturally-occurring chemicals that seemed to help.

In around half of all cases, ALS patients have fewer than five years to live. So Tedone needed to work quickly.

After extensive research and experimentation – Dr. Tedone developed a treatment involving a regimen of commercially available dietary supplements, an exercise routine and massage therapy. He says this system slowed and possibly stopped the progression of his daughter’s ALS.

Tedone calls this treatment the Deanna Protocol – after his daughter. This process was developed specifically for Deanna, yet other ALS patients are also finding success.

It is not a cure. But the results so far have been promising and provide hope for those fighting ALS. At the very least – it seems the Deanna Protocol can extend the lives and improve the quality of life of people with this debilitating disease.

When a story about the Deanna Protocol first appeared on CBN in November of 2012, more people became aware and started asking questions about the experimental therapy.

Watch the CBN Report for More of the Story behind the Deanna Protocol

What is ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease?

ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. It is also known as MND or motor neuron disease in the UK and Australia.

In America, it is often referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease in recognition of the legendary New York Yankees baseball player who was diagnosed with ALS.

ALS-musclesThe disorder essentially means that muscles in the body lose nourishment and begin to atrophy – or gradually become weaker and smaller.

ALS specifically impacts the neuromuscular system, which is the connection between muscles, the brain and the spinal cord.

ALS causes damage to motor neurons in the brain and spine.

The brain uses these neurotransmitters as chemical messengers to tell muscles when to move. As these motor neurons disappear from the body, a person can become paralyzed and will eventually die.

Keep in mind that ALS affects all muscles – including vocal cords, the lungs and the heart. That means a patient’s ability to speak, breathe and swallow become impaired. This is why patients with advanced ALS  often need things like feeding tubes and ventilators. As muscles waste away, they can no longer breath or the heart stops working.

The Deanna Protocol and How it Works

Dr. Tedone compares the Deana Protocol to the way we treat Type 1 diabetics – those who are dependent on insulin. Doctors provide patients with the insulin a diabetic’s body can no longer provide.

In a video in which Tedone explains his treatment in depth (watch the video at the end of this article), he lists three health issues that doctors agree can be identified in people with ALS and many other neuro-degenerative diseases.

1. Nerve Cells Lack Energy
  2. Nerve Cells Die
  3. An Excess of Glutamate Accumulates

The goal of the Deanna Protocol is to address these issues using a complex program involving an exercise routine, massage with coconut oil and a regimen of 27 different nutritional supplements.

Dr. Tedone identifies four of these supplements as being the most important:

• Arginine alpha ketoglutarate (AAKG) – delivers energy to nerve cells
  • Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) – may stop nerve cell death
  • GABA – inhibitory neurotransmitter
  • Glutathione – nervous system free radical scavenger

AKG seems to be the most crucial of all. It is produced in the Krebs Cycle or citric acid cycle. This is how our bodies – and anything that requires oxygen to live – create energy for cells.

AKG supplements are often used to avoid muscle breakdown during exercise, as well as to aid in recovery after a surgical procedure. L-arginine (the extra A in AAKG) is an amino acid that seems to increase blood flow to the muscles.

GABA or Gamma-aminobutyric acid, is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that may help the body break down excess glutamate while also playing a role as an antioxidant and free radical scavenger. Research indicates ALS patients have an elevated level of oxidative damage in the brain and spinal cord.

Other supplements in the Deanna Protocol are also chosen for their antioxidant potential as well as their role in the Krebs cycle.

In addition to dietary supplementation, Dr. Tedone recommends a moderate workout routine for ALS patients involving resistance training, aerobic exercise, stretching and range of motion exercises. Plus, patients undergo massage therapy with coconut oil. The coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), which Tedone says are small enough to be absorbed through the skin by mitochondria in the cells of muscles.

Simplifying the Deanna Protocol

For a detailed  and critical evaluation of the Deanna Protocol, you can read the PDF – “ALS Untangled: The Deanna Protocol” from Informahealthcare.com.

In that article, a table displays the supplement regimen Tedone requires for the original Deanna Protocol. It involves dozens of supplements, some of which need to be taken multiple times per day.

The complexity of the protocol can cause some patients to have a hard time following it. That’s especially true for those who may have difficulty swallowing pills because of their condition.

But as the Deanna Protocol has become more well-known, others have developed a way to simplify the routine. That includes nutritional supplement manufacturer Simplesa.

In February of 2014, Simplesa released what it calls the Degenerative Protocol Spectrum (DPS). It is based on Dr. Vincent Tedone’s original Deanna Protocol, but makes it easier to follow.

Instead of many different supplements, Simplesa combines the 27 nutrients of the protocol into seven products along with an easy-to-follow schedule. Plus, instead of capsules, the supplements are provided in liquid or powder form – making it much easier for ALS patients to ingest, while potentially making the nutrients more bioavailable.

The Degenerative Protocol Spectrum seeks to enhance Dr. Tedone’s groundbreaking ALS treatment. Natural Healthy Concepts is one of the very first places to offer Simplesa products online.

Simplesa-Banner

Ongoing Research Involving the Deanna Protocol

It is important to note that evidence related to the success of both the Deanna Protocol and Simplesa’s Degenerative Protocol Spectrum is still considered anecdotal. That simply means that we’re relying on the testimonials of people with ALS, and scientific data/proof is unavailable.

But more research is underway…

As mentioned in the CBN report, Dr. Dominic D’agostino and his colleagues at the University of South Florida have been testing elements of the Deanna Protocol in mice with ALS.

It’s also important to realize that ALS is a complicated condition that manifests itself in different people in different ways. Results may not be the same in every patient, or the protocol may need to be adjusted.

But the bottom line is that this is a sign of hope for those battling Lou Gehrig’s disease.

It can take months to receive a diagnosis of ALS. That’s why Dr. Tedone strongly recommends that anyone waiting for a diagnosis on a possible neurodegenerative disease begin the Deanna Protocol treatment – as a preventative measure – as soon as possible.

He believes that doing so could help save cells and slow progression. Even if the final diagnosis is not ALS, Tedone claims “treatment with AKG will do no harm.”

For more on the Deanna Protocol, including the latest news and support forums, visit Dr. Tedone’s site Winning the Fight. The organization is an all-volunteer non-profit supported by donors around the world. Winning the Fight is dedicated to raising awareness and supporting research of neurodegenerative disease.

Watch a Video with Dr. Vincent Tedone Explaining the Deanna Protocol

[jetpack_subscription_form]

Enhanced by Zemanta

, , , , ,

16 Responses to The Deanna Protocol – Hope and Help for People Battling ALS

1. Derek Oates April 2, 2014 at 11:13 am #

How many others are using this for ALS and how many are reporting benefits / improvements ?

• Natalie Lily November 20, 2015 at 2:35 pm #

I have been suffering from (ALS) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i was searching on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from ALS by this Man DR.ABEGBU and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to DR.ABEGBU telling him about my (ALS) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the DR.ABEGBU assured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email DR.ABEGBU on DR.ABEGBUHEALER@GMAIL.COM OR DR.ABEGBUHEALER@OUTLOOK.COM I am indeed grateful for the help, i will forever recommend you to my friends!!!

2. Jorie Davis April 11, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

My sister was recently diagnosed with ALS. We are shocked, and so very hurt. My Husband found this information about the Deanna Protocol and Dr. Tedone. Very interested in finding AKG.

3. Tyrus May 20, 2014 at 8:25 am #

I have been on the DP for over a year. The Simplesa products make following the protocol so much easier. When I am on the protocol, there are no muscle fasciculations.

• Kasey Steinbrinck May 20, 2014 at 9:21 am #

Tyrus, thanks for sharing your testimony. It’s good to hear that it has helped you!

• Daniela May 21, 2014 at 9:12 am #

Hi Tyrus,
      Thank you for share your experience. How are you today? Can you walk? What is your difficults nowadays?
      Please let me know a little more about your life.

Tks a lot.

• Tyrus May 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Thankfully I can still walk but only short distances. Going up stairs is challenge and I am losing strength in my legs. Mostly my right leg. Also my speech. My voice will slur at times, but for the most part it is controllable. I have been diagnosed for 15-months. I do notice a positive difference when I am on the DP.

4. dr.v.v.rao May 20, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Iam a practising physiciam cum patient of als
    I want tonuse deanna protocoI.
    Please suggest me accordingly
    DR V V RAO
    SIDDIPET 502103
    INDIA

• Kasey Steinbrinck May 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

Dr. V – I would suggest you follow the links in this article and try to contact Dr. Tedone and his organization yourself. You could also try making contact with Simplesa – http://www.simplesanutrition.com/

We offer the products at NHC, but we can’t offer the same expertise as Dr. Tedone or the people at Simplesa. Thank you for reading, and we hope you get some answers!

5. marlene August 12, 2014 at 10:32 am #

If taking supplements AAKG, GABA and NADH separately, how mcu of each do you reccomend?

• Kasey Steinbrinck August 12, 2014 at 10:40 am #

Hi Marlene – we are unable to give medical advice on this blog, and we are not experts on the Deanna Protocol.

My suggestion would be to start with either Dr. Tedone’s site or Simplesa – http://www.simplesanutrition.com/

I am guessing your answer has a lot to do with the individual patient’s needs.

6. simin Fatemi April 7, 2015 at 11:51 pm #

I have ALS I need your help

7. Andrew Parker June 12, 2015 at 4:40 pm #

My names are Andrew Parker… ALS has been ongoing in my family for long..I lost both parents to
    ALS and it is so much pain have not been able to get over. As we all know medically,there is
    no solution or cure for ALS and the cost for Medication is very expensive..Someone introduced me
    to a Herbal man email:(droyekpenherbalhome@gmail.com)(Native Medical Practitioner)in oxford.. I showed
    the man all my Tests and Results and i told him have already diagnosed with ALS and have spent thousands of dollars
    on medication..I said i will like to try him cos someone introduced me to him..He asked me
    sorts of questions and i answered him correctly..To cut the story short,He gave me some medicinal
    soaps and some herbs(have forgot the name he called them) and he thought me how am gonna use them
    all..At first i was skeptical but i just gave it a try..I was on his Medication for 2 weeks and i used all the soaps and herbs according to his prescription.. that he will finish the rest
    himself..and i called him 3 days after, i arrived and i told him what is the next thing..he said,he has
    been expecting my call.. he told me to visit my doctor for another test..Honestly speaking,i never
    believe all he was saying until after the test when my doctor mention the statement that am, also negative
    and the doctor started asking me how do i get cure….Am telling this story to every one of you encase
    you also having same problem you can contact him on his via
    email address: droyekpenherbalhome@gmail.com .

Kind Regards!

Thanks…

8. Richards Stone June 18, 2015 at 8:35 am #

I am from U.S.A, I was diagnosed of ALS disease (Lou Gehrigs disease) in 2012 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, my life was gradually coming to an end, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepares herbal cure to cure HIV/aids and all kind of diseases including ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Gonorrhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared an ALS herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 7 days, I could not walk or talk understandably before but after i took the herbal cure as he instructed i regained strength in my bones and i could talk properly unlike before, I am now free from the deadly disease, all thanks to Dr ODI. Contact this great herbal doctor via his email oyeyetemple@gmail.com

• Doris Long May 24, 2016 at 5:50 pm #

I have been suffering from this problem since January 2015 I would love to know more about your treatment, is this for real, is it expensive , thanks

9. Monica Weslie November 29, 2015 at 10:57 pm #

Truthfully, i was tested ALS positive last 2years. I keep on managing the drugs i usually purchase from the health care agency to keep me healthy and strengthen, i tried all i can too make this disease leave me alone, but unfortunately, it keep on eating up my life, this is what i caused myself, So last few 4days i came in contact with a lively article on the internet on how this Powerful Herbal Healer get her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will took my life 1 day, and i need to live with other friends and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr Ehi the traditional healer’s email id: drudebhuluherbalhome@gmail.com, and I mailed him immediately, in a little while he mail me back that i was welcome to his temple home whereby all what i seek for are granted. I was please at that time. And i continue with him, he took some few details from me and told me that he shall get back to me as soon as he is through with my work. I was very happy as heard that from him. So Yesterday, as i was just coming from my friends house, Dr Ehi called me to go for checkup in the hospital and see his marvelous work that it is now ALS negative, i was very glad to hear that from him, so i quickly rush down to the nearest hospital to found out, only to hear from my hospital doctor called Browning Lewis that i am now ALS NEGATIVE. I jump up at him with the test note, he ask me how does it happen and i reside to him all i went through with Dr Ehi. I am now glad, so i am a gentle type of person that need to share this testimonies to everyone who seek for healing s, because once you get calm and quiet, so the disease get to finish your life off. So i will advice you contact him today for your healing at the above details: Email ID: drudebhuluherbalhome@gmail.com… CONTACT HIM NOW TO SAVE YOUR LIFE: