Frankincense and Myrrh Health Facts

Frankinsence and Myrrh

We’re all familiar with the three guys who started the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas.

In the New Testament of the  Bible, the Magi (aka the Three Wise men) sought the Christ-child and brought him gifts: gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Now we all know gold makes a pretty nice gift – but what is it about frankincense and myrrh that makes them so valuable? Turns out…there are a lot of health benefits to these two gifts.

What Are Frankincense and Myrrh?

Frankincense and myrrh actually have a few things in common. They are both considered aromatic resins that come from the same plant family. Both are often used in aromatherapy. Frankincense literally means high quality incense.

Frankincense and myrrh are harvested from trees in the Commiphora family through a process called striping. Slashes are made in the bark of the tree to release droplets of sap, which are called tears.

The scent of frankincense is typically described as piney and lemony combined with a sweet, woody aroma. Myrrh has a slightly earthy scent that some say smells like black licorice. Both are often used in religious ceremonies today – just as they were many centuries ago.

But there’s much more to these two natural components than their fragrance.

Health Benefits of Frankincense

For Stronger Immunity – Frankincense has anti-inflammatory properties. That means it can help reduce symptoms of respiratory issues such as asthma or a cough from the common cold.  It is also an anti-septic/disinfectant, so it helps your body fights off germs.

For Pain Relief – Typical body pain may also be improved with frankincense. It is used for headaches and sore muscles as well as PMS pain and reduction of arthritis symptoms.

For Your Skin & Hair – Frankincense has anti-aging properties, making it a nice addition to lotions and skin creams. It is an astringent than can strengthen the roots of your hair while toning and lifting skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.

For Improved Digestion – In your digestive system, frankincense can encourage the production of gastric juices like bile. It can also be used as a diuretic.

For Stress & Anxiety – As an oil, it can act as a sedative, promoting feelings of peace and relaxation.

For Better Nutrition – Frankincense can even help your body absorb important nutrients so you get all the benefits of your healthy diet.

• Read More about the health benefits of Frankincense at OrganicFacts.net

Health Benefits of Myrrh

Since they are similar substances, it’s no surprise that Myrrh has many similar health advantages to Frankincense. Like its close cousin – myrrh is an astringent, an immune booster and a sedative for aromatherapy. But it also has its own unique benefits…

For Fighting Infection – Myrrh essential oil has antiviral and anti-fungal properties. It can keep microbes from growing in your body and causing an infection.

For Getting Rid of a Cough – Myrrh can be an effective expectorant and an anti-catarrhal. That means it helps you get rid of phlegm and cough up excess mucus from a cold or other types of respiratory infection.

For Better Circulation – Myrrh can help improve blood flow so that nutrients and oxygen reach every part of your body. Better circulation can also mean better digestion and a sharper mind.

For Faster Healing – When applied to wounds, myrrh acts as a vulnerary, protecting you from infection and promoting healing.

Where Can You Find Frankincense and Myrrh?

Lucky for us, frankincense and myrrh are much easier to come by in modern times. You don’t need a wise man to bring it to you.  So we can literally treat ourselves like kings!

Natural Healthy Concepts offers a nice selection of products containing these ingredients. That includes essential oils, lotions and deodorants, as well as supplements.

Have you used frankincense or myrrh to benefit your health? What do you think of them as aromatherapy fragrances? Leave us a comment and tell us what you think!

Enhanced by Zemanta

, , , ,

16 Responses to Frankincense and Myrrh Health Facts

1. Jodi May 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

I am trying to figure out how to take these oils internally to help the body absorb nutrients, and the many other internal benefits. Can you tell me how to do this? Or direct me to a website that will explain it to me? Thanks~

• Kasey Steinbrinck May 7, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Jodi – thanks for reading. I believe most people inhale vapors of essential oils or apply it to the skin. Frankincense comes from the Boswellia tree, and you can also find Boswellia supplements at Natural Healthy Concepts – http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/search.html?q=boswellia

• Carroll December 4, 2016 at 7:11 pm #

You ca put 1 or 2 drops under your tongue. You will have to get use to the tast although I don’t think it’s too bad.

2. Kimberly September 20, 2014 at 12:27 am #

I use empty gel caps, you can purchase from health food store and use therapeutic grade essential oils, specifically Doterra or Young Living for internal use, I use 2 drips of frankincense 2 drops of myrrh and 2 drops of oregano oil integrated with grapeseed oil into a gel cap and take 2-3 times a day to fight virus or bacteria infection or to just boost immunity…I’ve had wonderful results!

3. Mirdza Hayden November 15, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks for writing the article! I do use these oils and think they are so beneficial for our health. I use only the Young Living brand

4. dawn lauer January 11, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Hi I need help i’ve been told about these oils and I will try tks,,,,But I was wondering about my 110 german shepard has allergies bad ever sence hes been 12 weeks and now hes 7 yrs we have changed his food done everything lots of docs and allergist alot of annibiotics creams always comes back hes chewing his paws there bleeding biting scratching and now hes dealing with a smelly bacterial on his stomach which is dark in color was told to give him yogurt and organic apple cider vinegar but nothing has worked we are even putting a anti fungal spray and baths need help how to mix and what to use and how much of the frankincense and myrrh tks

• xesia March 11, 2015 at 5:01 pm #

Hi, I can only tell You what I do and How it’s worked for My dog and Myself. I go over board as I only grow, eat, basically every thing I buy for My Dog and I is chemically free-non gmo’s (genetically Modified organism) look it up in the Wikipedia, free encyclopedia. I buy totally organic Non GMO everything. Everything You put on Your skin goes into Your blood stream ect, ect. I have to go, have to go help a friend by by 4:30

• Connie smart March 31, 2015 at 7:23 pm #

Hi, so sorry about your pet. I just found a site that might help it is http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/ benefits-of-myrrh.html It looks like they may have salves for dogs skin conditions. Hope this helps!

• Meme October 20, 2016 at 6:32 am #

Things work a lot different in pets than they do humans and what is good for us can be toxic to them. Take your dog to a hollistic specialist before proceeding. I’m a vet tech.

• Kathy Murray December 31, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

There is also a really good natural bar and liquid soap called Dr bronners. This would be good to bath him in. They have a lot of good scents. Such as equalyptus. Almond. Citrus. Rose. Tea tree oil. You need to check out their website. Once you have tried this soap you will never want to go back to other soaps. I Love it. I hope you do to

5. Brandon March 30, 2015 at 6:31 pm #

There is a website called http://www.beardbay.com that has some pretty amazing beard oils. One of them is called 3 gifts. The ingredients include frankincense essential oil, myrrh essential oil, and golden jojoba oil. It is an amazing product that you should definitely check out if you have a beard and like frankincense and myrrh.

6. Dori November 10, 2015 at 8:39 am #

How long can you store organic frankincense and myrrh? I would like to stock up.

7. Cynthia Clark March 3, 2016 at 4:27 am #

I like Swanson Products. They have a magazine. And a web site.

8. Marie Hanson June 16, 2016 at 12:57 am #

I have read that you can take a drop of frankincense with a teaspoon of honey, would this also work with myrrh?

9. Earthstar August 7, 2016 at 12:13 am #

As with many things in life, they do not taste nearly as good as they smell.