5 Amazing Health Benefits of Berberine

5 Health Benefits of Berberine!

From exercising to drinking water and using nutritional products, there are many ways and steps to detox and cleanse your body. Cleansing your body of toxins not only helps eliminate them but also provides such benefits as increased energy, weight loss, and improved overall health.

There are many nutritional products that can easily help you jump-start a detox program. In a recent episode of the Dr Oz Show, renowned detox expert Dr Alejandro Junger explains that nurturing your digestive system and “cleaning the gut” is one of the most important things you can do for your health. By adding certain supplements and sticking to a precise diet, he adds that you can jump-start your gut and get your energy back for good.

One the supplements that sparked particular interest was berberine. Berberine has long been used in traditional Ayurveda and Chinese medicine to treat many health concerns, including intestinal problems, bacterial infections, and inflammation. Berberine is present in many plants, including the European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape, phellodendron, and tree tumeric. It is found in roots, rhizomes, stems, and the bark.

Dr Junger’s detox cleanse explains that supplementing with berberine can help prevent energy drain and support digestive health. While this isn’t new to the natural health world, recent studies have shown that berberine can help support many functions and health concerns with our bodies. So what else can it do? Here are 5 more health benefits:

5 Amazing Health Benefits of Berberine

1. Natural Antimicrobial -  Many studies have pointed out that berberine has significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses, protozogans, helminths, and chlamydia. By inhibiting the ability of bacteria to attach to human cells, Berbrine helps protect against many bacterial infections, particularly in the throat, intestines, and urinary tract. Berberine’s antimicrobial properties in the digestive system make it a unique supplement to use in a detox program as well.
  2. Support for Blood Glucose Levels & Type 2 Diabetes - A clinical trial published in Metabolism found that “berberine works just as well as the top-selling drug for type 2 diabetes, metformin (Glucophage).” The study conducted on individuals with Type 2 diabetes  found that berberine significantly lowered blood glucose and hemoglobin levels. In the study, berberine was every bit as effective as metformin in regulating glucose metabolism. So wouldn’t you prefer a natural anti-diabetic supplement that is just as, if not more effective as an anti-diabetic pharmaceutical? Most of us would agree.
  3. Helps Lower Cholesterol Levels- Staying on the berberine vs diabetes drugs subject, berberine has also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, something most (if not all) diabetes drugs cannot do. The study, published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism , found that berberine lowered triglycerides by 35.9 percent, LDL cholesterol by 21 percent, and total cholesterol by 18 percent! Besides lowering cholesterol, the study also found that berberine lowered blood pressure and increased weight/fat loss.
  4. Supports Cardiovascular Health- According to Healthline.com, “preliminary research suggests that berberine, in addition to a standard prescription drug regimen for chronic congestive heart failure (CHF), may improve quality of life and heart function, and improve mortality.” A study reported in the Cardiovascular Drug Review also “indicated the cardiovascular effects of Berberine may make it useful in the treatment of arrhythmias and/or heart failure.” Besides heart failure, berberine can certainly reduce the risk of heart disease, especially since it can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels—all of which are risk factors for heart disease.
  5. Supports Mental and Brain Health-  A recent study conducted at the Shandong University of Technology in China found that “berberine helps prevent oxidation damage to biomolecules in the brain, inhibits enzymes which breakdown important memory molecules, reduces peptides that interfere with proper memory function, and lowers lipids that interfere with cerebral blood flow.” It’s interaction with brain and mental health show that berberine may also be able to ward off Alzheimer’s disease.

Other studies show that berberine improves bone density and preserves cartilage, protects against acute brain damage, reduce inflammation, and may reduce cancer cell spreading. Berberine should definitely be at the top of your supplement list if you have diabetes, cardiovascular concerns, cancer, immune challenges, intestinal infections, or just want an amazing overall health supplement! If you’re looking for a quality berberine supplement, you might want to check out Thorne Research Berbercap or Thorne Research Berbine-500. If you are at all concerned about potential side effects, check out this article.

If you’ve used berberine we’d like to hear about it, and so would others! Share your results below.

About Cal Krusick

I am a Search Engine Manager in the Marketing Department here at Natural Healthy Concepts. Along with Internet Marketing, I enjoy writing blog posts! Cal Krusick

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to 5 Amazing Health Benefits of Berberine

1. Paul July 25, 2013 at 9:37 am #

It looks like berberine is something really great for weight loss. Is there any nutritional supplements containing Berberine? Thanks!

2. Melissa Palmer September 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Thank you for this. I was actually on the Dr. Oz show with Dr. Junger as one of his success stories. I suffered needlessly for years with rheumatoid arthritis only to discover multiple food allergies and leaky gut after undertaking Dr. Junger’s CleanGut protocol. Today, I am completely pain and medicine-free and feeling better than I have ever felt in all my adult years. I was searching for some background info on berberine to send to another person interested in doing the CleanGut protocol so they can understand the science behind why they need to take it. Your article hits the spot!

• Theresa Groskopp, CN September 6, 2013 at 8:44 am #

That’s great Melissa ~ so glad to hear you finally got somewhere. Rheumatoid arthritis is such a debilitating disease. Best of health to you!

3. Vicki Johnson September 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I would like to take Berberine for high LDL and triclycerides but am concerned because I do not have diabetes. Would taking Berberine decrease my sugar levels and cause a problem? If I am currently taking Priolosec for acid reflux and lysinopril for high bp, how will this herb effect those medications?

Berberine sounds great if you do not want to take a statin! and sounds even better as a weight loss possibility. Please respond! Thanks

• Elizabeth December 3, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Vicki,
      Why don’t you not take a statin at all? Guess what? Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, they only studied males who already had heart problems and you need your cholesterol, esp. your brain.

Read this book which will give you more details:

I knew some of what was in this book but it went further with more details that are just astonishing. It will tell you what better to do for your heart health.

and no, of course not. Berberine does many things but that doesn’t mean it would negatively affect normal levels. It’s part of my antifungal formula I take daily and it’s great.

• Joyce Mossman March 25, 2014 at 9:35 am #

This sounds like me…On prilosec and have high LDL’s. Did anyone respond to you?

4. lauren jonczak March 7, 2014 at 9:43 am #

I have never heard of berberine before but it sounds great, are there any side effects when taking berberine? I have been doing some research on treating heart disease ever since my aunt died from it last month and they say staying fit and eating right is a great prevention. I am not the healthiest person but having my aunt die was a huge wake up call for me. I need to be more conscience of my body. I am going to have to look more into berberine, thanks so much for sharing.

5. Joni Walker April 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

I’ve recently been taking a Berberine Complex (Integrative Therapeutics) as an anti-fungal (RX’d by my ND), I have shed about 5-10 pounds and suffered with chronic tension headaches over the past 10+ years or so and are now gone. I’ve been an aspirin/caffeine user for years – eat really clean (Paleo – no dairy/soy/sugar) and even when I’ve done major detoxes, I’ve still had the headaches. I am on day 5 of no headaches, which is super unusual. My ND can only tell me is that it was probably the Berberine – I sure hope it stays this way, feel so much better and happy to have lost some extra pounds too. Hope that helps any of you ….. btw, I do not have diabetes and I’ve not had any side effects either.

• Ashley Steinbrinck April 9, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

That’s such great news, Joni! Thank you for sharing your success with Berberine. Just an FYI for the future – during a detox, it’s very common to have headaches as a symptom as your body eliminates all the toxins! Keep us updated!

6. Lucy May 19, 2014 at 7:28 am #

Hi

I’ve been reading about Berberine as I’m I have PCOS and i know reserach has shown it works like Metformin to control blood sugar levels and aid weight loss. However, I have also come across information that states Berberine does not have a very long history and doctors dont yet know the long term effects of it.

Please see: http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/berberine-works-but-may-very-well-be.html

I am so stressed and confused as I don’t want to cause more harm than good!

7. Louise June 4, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Would you recommend berberine for non diabetics who are on a LCHF diet trying to control heart disease and eventually eliminate statins?

Also, for a basically healthy person to come closer to ketosis?

• Theresa Groskopp, CN June 4, 2014 at 8:26 am #

Hi Louise – While we can’t make recommendations, I can tell you that there is clinical research to support the use of berberine for heart disease and metabolic syndrome – as the references linked to in this article and in the article on Are There Side Effects of Berberine . It sounds like you might be on the LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) Diet not only for heart & cholesterol support, but also to prevent diabetes. Berberine use is supported for both conditions – at least in the research I have done. Good Luck!

• Louise June 4, 2014 at 9:19 am #

In the research I’ve done there’s an indication it may contribute to muscle loss. And, suggests vigorous
        exercise. We walk a lot, but that’s it and I’m sure we are not going to change that. We are both in our sixties and don’t need to loose anymore muscle! What’s your take on this?

• Theresa Groskopp, CN June 4, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Louise – research does indicate that. I talked about this in the post Are There Side Effects of Berberine. My take is that you will build muscle in your legs if you walk regularly. You will naturally lose muscle mass in areas that you don’t use on a regular basis, with or without taking berberine. I wish it weren’t so!

8. Debbie Verilhac June 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Hi, I was just reading about Berberine and have a few questions, I am diabetic and I take metformin and am on insulin and Victoza as well. I also take Prevastatin and Lisinopril, not because I have high cholesterol or high blood pressure, (I was told I am taking these 2 for ‘maintenance’ for my diabetes) Taking Berberine will I be able to replace these once I start taking the Berberine and can I find this in any store? I am trying to lose weight also but am having a hard time as the weight is more from ‘stress’ than anything else. Thank you for your response!!!

9. Susie June 24, 2014 at 5:32 am #

Gosh, I have been taking “Thorne” Berberine 500 2 capsules with each meal. Sadly, it gave me horrible acid reflux and did nothing for my blood sugar, if anything, it caused it to go higher.

Any ideas as to why this happened?

10. Ant July 4, 2014 at 10:13 am #

I have used Berberine for years, and it is truly as amazing as everyone says.

I am a Canadian, but I have lived in China for over a decade. The first 5 years more uncomfortable than not due to a persistent stomach bug which would come and go, regardless of prescription medications or diet. Then I came across Berberine, unbelievably cheap (100mgX100 pills = .80 cents) and very commonly used here as a diarrhea medication. (AKA The Backpackers Best Friend in Thailand). Not only does it fix the diarrhea effectively, without residual constipation like prescription stuff, but it very effectively kills and removes the bacteria which is so tough to remove by conventional methods. Once I found out about the other amazing side effects, it isnt a hard sell to spend .80 cents every couple of weeks…..

11. Shirley July 22, 2014 at 5:35 am #

Can I buy berberine in s Africa?
    What are side effects

12. DEBRA GRENIER August 24, 2014 at 9:00 am #

I AM WANTING TO TRY BERBERINE FOR MY LIPIDS, BUT AM A TYPE 1 DIABETIC, UNDER GOOD CONTROL WITH A1C OF 6.0. I KNOW BERBERINE IS SAFE FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS CAUSE I HAVE A NURSE FRIEND WHO TAKES IT. I ALSO SAW ON DR OZ THAT IT CAN HELP WITH WEIGHT LOSS.. I WANT TAKE STATINS, FIRST OF ALL I HAVE MAJOR SIDE EFFECTS WITH THEM, CAUSING SEVERE JOINT PAIN. I ALREADY HAVE NEUROPATHY FROM MY 49 YEARS OF DIABETES. I WAS DIAGNOISED AT 11 YRS OLD.. WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE ALSO. MY FRIEND TAKES 500MG THREE TIMES A DAY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. IS BERBERINE GOOD TO HELP PREVENT CANCERS TOO.