5 Amazing Health Benefits of Berberine

5 Health Benefits of Berberine!

From exercising to drinking water and using nutritional products, there are many ways and steps to detox and cleanse your body. Cleansing your body of toxins not only helps eliminate them but also provides such benefits as increased energy, weight loss, and improved overall health.

There are many nutritional products that can easily help you jump-start a detox program. In a recent episode of the Dr Oz Show, renowned detox expert Dr Alejandro Junger explains that nurturing your digestive system and “cleaning the gut” is one of the most important things you can do for your health. By adding certain supplements and sticking to a precise diet, he adds that you can jump-start your gut and get your energy back for good.

One the supplements that sparked particular interest was berberine. Berberine has long been used in traditional Ayurveda and Chinese medicine to treat many health concerns, including intestinal problems, bacterial infections, and inflammation. Berberine is present in many plants, including the European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape, phellodendron, and tree tumeric. It is found in roots, rhizomes, stems, and the bark.

Dr Junger’s detox cleanse explains that supplementing with berberine can help prevent energy drain and support digestive health. While this isn’t new to the natural health world, recent studies have shown that berberine can help support many functions and health concerns with our bodies. So what else can it do? Here are 5 more health benefits:

5 Health Benefits of Berberine

1. Natural Antimicrobial -  Many studies have pointed out that berberine has significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses, protozogans, helminths, and chlamydia. By inhibiting the ability of bacteria to attach to human cells, Berbrine helps protect against many bacterial infections, particularly in the throat, intestines, and urinary tract. Berberine’s antimicrobial properties in the digestive system make it a unique supplement to use in a detox program as well.
  2. Support for Blood Glucose Levels & Type 2 Diabetes - A clinical trial published in Metabolism found that “berberine works just as well as the top-selling drug for type 2 diabetes, metformin (Glucophage).” The study conducted on individuals with Type 2 diabetes  found that berberine significantly lowered blood glucose and hemoglobin levels. In the study, berberine was every bit as effective as metformin in regulating glucose metabolism. So wouldn’t you prefer a natural anti-diabetic supplement that is just as, if not more effective as an anti-diabetic pharmaceutical? Most of us would agree.
  3. Helps Lower Cholesterol Levels- Staying on the berberine vs diabetes drugs subject, berberine has also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels, something most (if not all) diabetes drugs cannot do. The study, published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism , found that berberine lowered triglycerides by 35.9 percent, LDL cholesterol by 21 percent, and total cholesterol by 18 percent! Besides lowering cholesterol, the study also found that berberine lowered blood pressure and increased weight/fat loss.
  4. Supports Cardiovascular Health- According to Healthline.com, “preliminary research suggests that berberine, in addition to a standard prescription drug regimen for chronic congestive heart failure (CHF), may improve quality of life and heart function, and improve mortality.” A study reported in the Cardiovascular Drug Review also “indicated the cardiovascular effects of Berberine may make it useful in the treatment of arrhythmias and/or heart failure.” Besides heart failure, berberine can certainly reduce the risk of heart disease, especially since it can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels—all of which are risk factors for heart disease.
  5. Supports Mental and Brain Health-  A recent study conducted at the Shandong University of Technology in China found that “berberine helps prevent oxidation damage to biomolecules in the brain, inhibits enzymes which breakdown important memory molecules, reduces peptides that interfere with proper memory function, and lowers lipids that interfere with cerebral blood flow.” It’s interaction with brain and mental health show that berberine may also be able to ward off Alzheimer’s disease.

Other studies show that berberine improves bone density and preserves cartilage, protects against acute brain damage, reduce inflammation, and may reduce cancer cell spreading. Berberine should definitely be at the top of your supplement list if you have diabetes, cardiovascular concerns, cancer, immune challenges, intestinal infections, or just want an amazing overall health supplement! If you’re looking for a good berberine supplement, you might want to check out Thorne Research Berbercap or Thorne Research Berbine-500.

If you’ve used berberine we’d like to hear about it! Post a comment below.

10 Responses to 5 Amazing Health Benefits of Berberine

1. Paul July 25, 2013 at 9:37 am #

It looks like berberine is something really great for weight loss. Is there any nutritional supplements containing Berberine? Thanks!

2. Melissa Palmer September 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Thank you for this. I was actually on the Dr. Oz show with Dr. Junger as one of his success stories. I suffered needlessly for years with rheumatoid arthritis only to discover multiple food allergies and leaky gut after undertaking Dr. Junger’s CleanGut protocol. Today, I am completely pain and medicine-free and feeling better than I have ever felt in all my adult years. I was searching for some background info on berberine to send to another person interested in doing the CleanGut protocol so they can understand the science behind why they need to take it. Your article hits the spot!

• Theresa Groskopp, CN September 6, 2013 at 8:44 am #

That’s great Melissa ~ so glad to hear you finally got somewhere. Rheumatoid arthritis is such a debilitating disease. Best of health to you!

3. Vicki Johnson September 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I would like to take Berberine for high LDL and triclycerides but am concerned because I do not have diabetes. Would taking Berberine decrease my sugar levels and cause a problem? If I am currently taking Priolosec for acid reflux and lysinopril for high bp, how will this herb effect those medications?

Berberine sounds great if you do not want to take a statin! and sounds even better as a weight loss possibility. Please respond! Thanks

• Elizabeth December 3, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Vicki,
      Why don’t you not take a statin at all? Guess what? Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, they only studied males who already had heart problems and you need your cholesterol, esp. your brain.

Read this book which will give you more details:

I knew some of what was in this book but it went further with more details that are just astonishing. It will tell you what better to do for your heart health.

and no, of course not. Berberine does many things but that doesn’t mean it would negatively affect normal levels. It’s part of my antifungal formula I take daily and it’s great.

• Joyce Mossman March 25, 2014 at 9:35 am #

This sounds like me…On prilosec and have high LDL’s. Did anyone respond to you?

4. lauren jonczak March 7, 2014 at 9:43 am #

I have never heard of berberine before but it sounds great, are there any side effects when taking berberine? I have been doing some research on treating heart disease ever since my aunt died from it last month and they say staying fit and eating right is a great prevention. I am not the healthiest person but having my aunt die was a huge wake up call for me. I need to be more conscience of my body. I am going to have to look more into berberine, thanks so much for sharing.

5. Joni Walker April 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

I’ve recently been taking a Berberine Complex (Integrative Therapeutics) as an anti-fungal (RX’d by my ND), I have shed about 5-10 pounds and suffered with chronic tension headaches over the past 10+ years or so and are now gone. I’ve been an aspirin/caffeine user for years – eat really clean (Paleo – no dairy/soy/sugar) and even when I’ve done major detoxes, I’ve still had the headaches. I am on day 5 of no headaches, which is super unusual. My ND can only tell me is that it was probably the Berberine – I sure hope it stays this way, feel so much better and happy to have lost some extra pounds too. Hope that helps any of you ….. btw, I do not have diabetes and I’ve not had any side effects either.

• Ashley Steinbrinck April 9, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

That’s such great news, Joni! Thank you for sharing your success with Berberine. Just an FYI for the future – during a detox, it’s very common to have headaches as a symptom as your body eliminates all the toxins! Keep us updated!