What Is DHEA and What Is It Used For?

DHEA Benefits, Uses and  Side Effects

If your goal is to look younger, feel better, and improve your body composition, consider DHEA. The “youth hormone” DHEA has many potential benefits but does also have some noted contraindications so read the following thoroughly, consult with a healthcare practitioner and do your own due diligence.

What is DHEA?

DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone, is an adrenal steroid hormone in the body. It is made by the adrenal glands and is then converted to androgens, estrogens and other hormones. These are the hormones that regulate fat and mineral metabolism, sexual and reproductive function, and energy levels. DHEA levels increase until our mid to late 20′s then gradually start to decline. Production in the body may also decrease with the use of certain medications such as insulin and corticosteroids.

What are the benefits of DHEA?

According to the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database,

DHEA is stated to be possibly effective for these conditions:

1. Aging Skin – Taking DHEA orally seems to increase epidermal thickness, sebum production, skin hydration, and decrease facial skin pigmentation in elderly men and women
  2. Erectile Dysfunction – Taking DHEA orally for 24 weeks seems to improve ED, orgasmic function, sexual desire, and overall sexual satisfaction in men with erectile dysfunction secondary to hypertension. It may not be as beneficial in those with diabetes or neurological conditions.
  3. Osteoporosis – Taking DHEA orally 50-100 mg per day seems to improve bone mineral density (BMD) in older women and men with osteoporosis or osteopenia.
  4. Schizophrenia – Taking DHEA orally seems to improve both negative and positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia. It may be more effective in women than in men.
  5. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) – Taking DHEA orally in conjunction with conventional treatment may help reduce SLE disease activity, frequency of flare-ups, and corticosteroid doses needed.

DHEA is also thought to contribute to a sense of well-being when used by those with adrenal and/or androgen insufficiency. In one placebo-controlled trial, DHEA supplementation for a 6 month period supported healthy physical and psychological outlook in men and women at ages 40-70 years. It may also support lean body mass in men and postmenopausal women. In another study, DHEA supplementation supported healthy male sexual function.

What are the side effects of DHEA?

Possible side effects include hair loss, hair growth on the face (in women), aggressiveness, irritability and increased levels of estrogen. Calcium channel blockers may increase DHEA levels and supplementation should be avoided by those using calcium channel blockers. DHEA should not be used if pregnant or nursing, by those under the age of 18 or used by those with healthy levels of DHEA. Anyone with a history of hormone-related cancer should definitely avoid DHEA due to the probability of increased estrogen levels. Anyone with liver problems or disease should avoid DHEA supplementation.

DHEA supplementation can certainly be beneficial but it is highly recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before supplementing and it should be monitored regularly with lab work. There are several different strengths of DHEA from 2 Mg, 5 Mg, 10 Mg, 25 Mg, 50 Mg and 100 Mg – always use the lowest dose appropriate for you. View a variety of options including sublingual drops, and buy DHEA here.

If you don’t feel DHEA is appropriate for you, it may be possible to increase the bodies natural production with regular exercise and Calorie restriction. Calorie restriction is associated with a longer life span and the increase in DHEA production may be partially responsible.

An alternative is 7-keto (3beta-acetyl-7-oxo-DHEA), a DHEA metabolite. Dr. Oz called 7-keto a “belly-blasting supplement“. 7-keto has many of the same benefits with the exception that it does not convert to sex hormones in the body. 7- keto DHEA will not convert to DHEA and will not raise blood levels of DHEA in the body.  In a double-blind, placebo controlled study by The Chicago Center for Clinical Research results indicate that 3beta-acetyl-7-oxo-DHEA is safe and well tolerated in normal healthy men at doses up to 200 mg/d for 4 weeks.

The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database does state that, “There is preliminary evidence that 7-keto-DHEA might significantly decrease body weight and fat composition in obese females. More evidence is needed to rate 7-keto for this use.”  It also appears that 7-keto may support thyroid function by increasing T3 levels in obese patients.

If you think 7-keto might be for you, you can buy 7-Keto now. Again, do your research, consult with your healthcare practitioner and use the lowest dose appropriate for you.

Infographic With 6 benefits of DHEA

Enhanced by Zemanta

About Theresa Groskopp, CN

Certified Nutritionist in Appleton, Wisconsin, owner of Natural Healthy Concepts. Natural health and nutrition advocate. Likes gardening, biking, fitness, boating, animals (especially cats), and cooking. Theresa Groskopp

, , , ,

15 Responses to What Is DHEA and What Is It Used For?

1. Kitchen Cupboards ` October 12, 2010 at 12:13 am #

hyptertension can also be minimized by just taking some relaxation exercises each day;~;

2. dr.d. frink January 2, 2011 at 5:09 am #

Where can I buy this and how can it benefit!!

3. zack May 1, 2011 at 12:22 am #

I am 74 years old male, I have been taking DHEA 50mg/day, for over 15 years, I was told by 2 physicians
    that DHEA is diminishing when you are over 35 years old, and probably become 1/3 or less when
    you are getting older >50.My mother died because of diabetic when she was 61 years old & my brother
    died when he was 58 also diabetic.A lot of people say that I look in mid 60′s but I am mid 70.s.
    The only problem I have is a little elevated in my BP. since I am taking 25mg of Atenolol,my BP was under
    control 130/80. is very good for an old man.So I have faith in the DHEA, as of now, I am not thinking
    of quitting taking DHEA. But I am also taking mega dose of Multivitamin, – Zeaxanthin-Lutein-Lucopyn-VitD3
    Vit-C, CQ-10,Magnisium,Calcium,Omega3, Flavonoid,VitB12, VitB6-VitB1, I-cap tablets, Vit.E,Folic Acid.
    I believe people who are taking DHEA, if not protected with Anti-Oxidant, can cause problem, among other
    thing is a cancer threat.

4. andre May 7, 2013 at 3:38 am #

i am 47 and married to a 30 year old women. my problem was that at this age my levels of libido was down and now after 2 weeks i am on top of the world. thank you

5. Hugh Woodward November 21, 2013 at 10:26 am #

DHEA should be used as a bioidentical DHEA cream. DHEA has now been shown to reduce risks of cancer of all types. People with a higher level of DHEA are at a lower risk of cancer of all types, including prostate and breast cancer. In fact, DHEA is now be used in the treatments physicians use for cancer. The top quality bioidentical DHEA cream is Twist 25 DHEA cream. You can simply go to http://www.twist25.com

• Raquel February 10, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Mr. Woodward,
      Could you please provide the evidence which shows people who have higher level from DHEA are at a lower risk of all types of cancer? Thank you.

• Hugh Woodward February 11, 2014 at 9:47 am #

This is a link to a recent article; and if you will provide me a fax number I can fax you other articles, medical research finds and opinions of many medical doctors about why DHEA helps to reduce ones risk of cancer.

• Gail Stewart November 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Hello mr Woodward ,this is a supplement that I would liove to take , I am a breast cancer survivor 6 years ( in remission ) I am about to finish taking letrozole ,as my cancer was eastrgen fed , I feel I need to be careful that I don’t take anything that will mimick eastrgen hormone , would taking DHEA be ok for me to take ?
          Kind regards

6. Leah April 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

I have always been in shape and full of energy, thanks to daily exercise and eating well. But at 34, after the birth of my 5th and last child, I permanently injured my back, requiring daily pain meds. It was too difficult to be active and my stress levels steadily increased and by age 44, I was exhausted all the time and had that awful midsection bulge. Yuck. I tried exercising, but was even more tired instead! I began to research about hormones and found that the long term effects of daily pain meds depleted hormones, along with stress and aging. I started taking DHEA 10-15 mg daily and found within 3 days, I was more mentally alert than I’d been for years. A week later I had more physical energy within a month after I’d adjusted the amount to 25 mg, I was back to exercising daily again and just felt 10x’s better than I have in a long time. It’s worked really well and the weight is coming off …….finally!

7. Manickavasagam June 23, 2014 at 11:03 am #

Mention the names of Tablets/Capsuals, containing DHEA,that would be available in Indian Medical shops.

8. Thresa July 10, 2014 at 8:22 am #

I have been having digestive problems for about 3 years now. I went to a natural care clinic and had saliva, stool and blood tests and found out I have 40 food sensitivities and allergies. I have not had any glutens, pastas, desserts, dairy, cheeses, eggs, etc… for 7 weeks now. I have not lost one lb. I am also on a natural custom made hormone therapy. My energy level went way down and now they put me on DHEA tablets. I am not as tired all the time, but the fact that I only eat vegetables, fruit and meat and nothing else and have not lost any weight at all I 7 weeks has me perplexed. I am a very active 58 year old. Live on a farm and don’t have time to sit down. What could be blocking my weight loss now?!!

• Dean Roberts July 22, 2014 at 2:16 am #

Thresa, you will not lose weight eating vegetables and fruit. My advice would be to follow a ketogenic diet. Stay with meat, fish, eggs, cheese, olives, avocados, almonds, coconut oil, MCT oil, butter, etc. Your aim is to restrict your net carbohydrate to no more than 20g per day. Stay away from fruit, potatoes, cake, crisps, fizzy drinks, pasta, rice, etc. You can have loads of salad and full-fat mayonnaise. You can also have green vegetables like cabbage, spinach, kale, etc. Your body will soon become a fat-burning machine instead of a glycogen burning machine. This diet not only makes you feel physically great, but also mentally great. However, the ‘adaption’ phase can be hard-going, and this is where the weak fail. You will initially feel a bit listless and have mild headaches, but stick with it. Your body is re-adjusting and purging itself of toxins etc. I went from 16 stone 4 pounds to 14 stone 10 pounds in my first 10 weeks. I feel amazing.

• mutti September 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

I am so sorry to hear.
      My bug German brother , farmer came to visit and I made it my goal for him to loose weight..lol
      Well I changed his diet and made him walk..biking…
      And no weight came off..so I put my thinking head on and it worked.
      45 years of eating real good German food was just stuck in his system
      I ended up getting him a real good cleanse and wow!!!!
      With that, no junk food no more, no wheat… and moderate exercise i got him to loose 34 lbs in 8 weeks of his vacation time with me.
      He looked awesome!
      So I think cleanse is the key!
      Of course with eating clean and raw as much as possible
      Also u r allergies have u r pancreas checked..
      And simply rebuild u r system.
      Check out allerplex by standard process
      And instead of DHEA (synthetic :(((
      Try drenamin..I don’t do anything then whole food supplements.a good holistic doc should be able to get u those..
      Also daily juicing (no fruits and easy on beets and carrots(high in sugar)
      And i also love my neutraler
      To me no easier way then getting all needed nutrition into my body (hemp, chia, spirulina, goji, any berries
      Spinach.kale…prebiotic powder..endless options

Just stay on no/low sugar

9. linda tritton October 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Would DHEA help with nocturia ??

10. Moric Erianna December 5, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

I am 42 and my husband is 57 with ED. It’s been a 6 years journey to today. We’ve tried all the pills, lotions, injections, etc. Nothing worked anymore. His desire was there but it just doesn’t happen very often anymore. He had high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes (takes pills) He was thinking that surgery is the only option left to do. It was so permanent and I wasn’t sure he’s ready for that. Nor I for that matter. I missed sex don’t get me wrong. But it’s really separated us and made it uncomfortable to be intimate at all. UNTIL I MET DR AKIM on an internet website,people taking about his good works and his good native herbs and i also ordered for the herbs and i got it in two days and my husband used it and till today my husband has been active in the bed room with his ED cured.all thanks to Dr Akim. Anyone else with similar issue should order for his herbs at (bestlovedoctor@yahoo.com)