English: The blue circle is the global symbol ...

The global symbol for diabetes. World Diabetes Day is November 14th (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

My husband has Type 1 Diabetes, and we pay $400 out of pocket every month just for his insulin! I often hear sad stories of diabetics who have lost their limbs or gone blind. I also hear about young kids being diagnosed with the disease, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

But, what if my husband, along with the other 1 million type 1 diabetics in the US could get a simple and inexpensive injection to jump start their pancreas?

Dr. Denise L. Faustman, Director of the Immunobiology Laboratory at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School

Dr. Denise L. Faustman, Director of the Immunobiology Laboratory of Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), has been independently investigating using an 80 year old Tuberculosis vaccination, or BCG, known formally as bacillus Calmette-Guerin, to reverse type 1 diabetes.

At first this sounded too good to be true and I hesitated because this potential cure would mean my husband would have to get vaccinations. If you read other articles I’ve written about the dangers of vaccination and the nasty ingredients they are made with, you may understand my hesitation.

So, I decided to write to Faustman to ask her about this. I asked if there was a way she could recreate the vaccine to only use the ingredients necessary for the cure. She responded,

Remarkably this is such an old vaccine, not much is added, unlike new vaccines.  The other ingredients are sodium glutamate, magnesium sulphate, dipotassium phosphate, L-asparagine, ferric citrate, glycerol, citric acid, and water. This is basically salts with a little sugar, so no worries – no mercury, adjuvants, etc.  The additives look like what is on the side of an energy drink.

Right then I became more interested in the whole idea!

Faustman has come a long way and has more than 20 years of research on autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes under her belt. She is very confident and enthusiastic that this generic drug just may be a type 1 diabetic cure!

When Faustman started at MGH in 1985, she was focused on transplants. She learned from the work of a pioneer in the field, Dr Paul Lacey of Washington University in St Louis. She was determined to make transplants work. She wanted to find a way to stop the cells of the pancreas from being attacked by autoimmune T cells so transplants could work.

But, surprisingly she discovered, this was more than a decade ago, that the pancreas of the mice injected with BCG started making insulin on their own!

It was then that she figured out the BCG actually helped stimulate the production of tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which killed the bad T cells that were attacking the pancreas. So by raising the levels of TNF using the vaccine, she was able to cure type 1 diabetes in mice.

A great article by the Huffington Post on the topic explains,

With the autoimmune T cells out of the picture, islet cells (of the pancreas) regenerated and began producing healthy amounts of insulin. By 2006, other scientists – including some who had attacked Faustman’s claims of regeneration – had replicated key findings of her mouse studies, laying the foundation for the clinical trial.

Faustman’s studies have raised some controversy in the research world because her findings go against the mainstream belief that when you have type 1 diabetes your pancreas is dead. But, she proved that this is not the case, as did other scientists who have replicated her results.

Today, Fuastman’s studies are unique because she focuses on diabetics who’ve had the disease for an average of 15 years, rather than past studies that focused on prevention or diabetics who had just been diagnosed.

After so long working with and curing rodents of type 1 diabetes, Faustman decided it was time to test her ideas on a small group of volunteers.Denise Faustman at Faustman Lab

So far in phase I, she has found that her theory works as well for people as it does for mice. In her latest newsletter from Fuastman Labs, she summarizes her phase I findings,

In the study, we saw that BCG treatment could eliminate the disease-causing T cells (the ones that attack and kill the insulin secreting cells of the pancreas). We also saw early signs that the pancreas was starting to produce insulin again—at least briefly—after years of dormancy in those who received treatment. Together, these data show the potential of BCG treatment or a similar therapy to turn the pancreas “back on”, even in people who have had type 1 diabetes for more than a decade.

Thankfully, Faustman was able to raise funding from individuals and foundations for phase I. An article by Bloomberg quotes Faustman explaining that she tried to get funding from every major drugmaker, but they all told her there wasn’t enough money to be made in a cure that used a generic and inexpensive vaccine.

I personally questioned Faustman in an e-mail about this. I said, “I would love to know your take on pharmaceutical companies. People in the natural health/alternative health world believe that Big Pharma and the FDA, healthcare industry, etc, are all on one big team to keep people sick… In other words, why would they want a cure for Diabetes when it makes them so much money?”

She responded,

Big Pharma Care About Profits“This is the reality of every company.  They have to make money – they are in the business of making money, which means chronic treatments are lucrative markets, ie diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol.  You can make a car to last 20 years but you make more money if you make cars that last 5 years, therefore car makers make cars that are not built to last.  Just like dishwashers, computers, etc. If a new drug costs over $1bn to get approval, and that drug takes away the market, they cannot recoup their expenses.  It is that simple.  Pharma is not bad, they just do not have a model to move cures forward. That is why this program is totally supported by philanthropy.  People and true non-profits want cures.”

The model for drug development is broken – a topic that is too big for me to tackle but if you can prove in this one case that a cheap generic cures, it will help to increase awareness of the value of public interest and support for the biggest impact.

One person who truly believes in Faustman’s research is Lee A Iacocca, former CEO of Chrysler Corp and founder of the Iacocca Family Foundation. A year after Iacocca lost his wife to type 1 diabetes in 1983, he founded The Iacocca Family Foundation in memory of her. That year, he also wrote his autobiography, Iacocca, selling 7 million copies. It was then that he became a true celebrity.

Today, Lee and his daughters, Kathryn and Lia, continue to live out their foundation’s mission to fund research that will one day lead to a cure. So far, he has given more than $17 million to Faustman’s research efforts and continues to support her work. The total need for Phase II of her research is $25.2 million.The Iacocca Family

This may seem like a lot, but it’s actually quite cheap considering most other new drug research costs billions. When I asked Faustman about the cost of funding she said,

We are cheap on this drug – since we are generic, but still, the process is expensive and highly regulated.  We should be about 1/4 the cost of a new drug.

Currently, phase II is underway with only $11.7 million left to raise. This will be a much larger trial. Faustman tells us some of the key steps involved in Phase II of her research, including

Working on trial design, submitting regulatory documents to the FDA, setting up a data safety monitoring board, determining the criteria for patient selection, further refining the methods for monitoring drug efficacy, and identifying which outcome measures will be used to determine whether the trial is a success.

As for what she hopes to accomplish, she says,

The Phase II trial will look at what dose and schedule we need to use to make BCG a functional and sustained type 1 diabetes therapy. In Phase II, we will try to sustain the favorable T cell and pancreas responses in people with long term diabetes that we observed transiently with limited dosing in our Phase I trial. Trial design and endpoints will be determined with the FDA and MGH clinical trial team.

Insulin PenJust think of all the people’s lives that will change for the better if Faustman’s research proves that it is possible to reverse type 1 diabetes and get the pancreas to start making insulin again!

My husband could stop taking shots for everything he eats, he wouldn’t have to worry about the destruction that low blood sugar or high blood sugar has on his body. He won’t have to fear having his limbs amputated or going blind. Maybe his life expectancy would increase. Maybe insurance companies would finally allow him to get life insurance? Maybe he could even give blood?

Let’s just hope and pray that Phase II brings positive results. And that Big Pharma and the FDA don’t put the ca-bosh on bringing BGC to market because curing a million diabetics would result in a loss for them.

Support Faustman Lab

There are many ways you can help support Faustman’s research.

Donate to Faustman Lab.

Host a special event or fundraiser.

Sign up to get updates about Faustman’s research.

Spread the word by downloading and printing Faustman’s fundraising brochure.

Follow Faustman Lab on Facebook and Twitter.

[jetpack_subscription_form]

Enhanced by Zemanta

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Type 1 Diabetes Does Not Mean Your Pancreas Is Dead! We’re Closer To A Cure With BCG Vaccine

1. dearie cheatham May 9, 2013 at 2:06 am #

Is the shot availale

• Ashley Steinbrinck May 9, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Hi Dearie, as far as we know – they are still working on phase 2 of testing, and raising money to finish up. It’s not available yet. The hope is that within the next few years it will be. If you’re interested in being part of the “testing” contact Faustman’s Laboratory. I know there are quite a few people in line to be “guinea pigs” but it doesn’t hurt to try! Good luck – wish you well!

2. Donna October 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

BS! Just another reason to shoot someone up with yet ANOTHER vaccine.

Look up vaccine ingredients from the CDC’s Pink Book, and then ask, “HOW are those chemicals, heavy metals and cells from unclean animals could possibly promote good health?”

Better would be stem cells. A person’s OWN stem cells from their bone marrow. Look on the repairstemcells.org website.

Also, the Keshe Foundation is making headway with this, fibromyalgia and other disorders too.

• Mary Bloomer October 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Hi Donna, thanks for commenting. Please don’t be so quick to make assumptions about us! If you have seen our other posts you will see that we don’t cast a very positive light on vaccines or Big Pharma. I’ve listed a few of the articles below. We changed course a on this one because after doing some research, it appeared the vaccine referenced in the article showed promise for an actual reversal of diabetes, not repeated vaccines, and as you’ll see in the article the ingredients are quite different than the typical vaccine we see today. “Remarkably this is such an old vaccine, not much is added, unlike new vaccines. The other ingredients are sodium glutamate, magnesium sulphate, dipotassium phosphate, L-asparagine, ferric citrate, glycerol, citric acid, and water. This is basically salts with a little sugar, so no worries – no mercury, adjuvants, etc. The additives look like what is on the side of an energy drink.”

The fact that this vaccine couldn’t get funding from Big Pharma should tell us something – it won’t make them billions of dollars, it might actually work and it might not cause the damage vaccines today cause. We felt the article was worth posting.

Since Ashley’s husband is diabetic, this was of great interest to her. We appreciate your information on the stem cells and hope you’ll stick with us. We appreciate the work that VacLib does!

• Betsy Ray April 9, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Hi Donna!

As a 50+ year T1D I agree with you for many reasons such as the fact that most vaccines contain elements such as simian kidney cells (rhesus monkey) that can either infect the receiver or cause the immune system to fire up. I personally work with 2 young ladies who were diagnosed with T1D after receiving the gardisil vaccine. BUT…

This treatment is different because in the era when the TB vaccine was developed it was a different world with different goals. Tb was decimating the population so it was imperative to eradicate it not make a sustainable income from it. Vaccines were not the scary beasts they are today.

I have personally never taken them but after research on Faustmans’ BCG vaccine I would choose it first before insulin therapy.

Insulin is cultured on e-coli bacteria and suspended in polysorbates (detergent) that create high acid levels in the body (a causative factor in cancer), m-cresol and phenols, which convert to formaldehyde that can’t be metabolized by the body and damages beta cells. and it is a synthetic hormone now where it used to be a relatively inexpensive animal derivative…. I paid $25 dollars a vial for mine. As a health care provider I can’t say enough about the adverse effects of synthetic treatments be they thyroid (derived from fluoride), insulin (see above), or sex hormones.

In my opinion as a nutritionist with a background in physiology (body function) and bio-chemistry (body response to consumption, i.e; food, drugs, etc) Insulin is perpetuating the disease process and the less of it necessary the better.

If you are interested you can contact me at my website email to discuss further as my goal is to educate those who want to maintain optimal health.

3. CharlieC December 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Well my goodness! What ever came of her studies of phase II?

4. Ryan January 30, 2014 at 6:10 am #

This gets me excited. I hope that it works! I have been diagnosed with this recently. I am very young. I’m in my twenties… It makes me sad.

• Ashley Steinbrinck January 30, 2014 at 9:03 am #

I hear ya, Ryan. My husband was 21 when he was diagnosed with Type 1. Now he’s in his 30’s and I’m excitedly hoping and waiting for this BCG Vaccine cure to come through too! Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is very smart when it comes to nutrition and reversing disease. It would take a huge lifestyle change on your part most likely, but it’s worth it! He wrote “Eat to Live” as well as “The End of Diabetes” I wish you well Ryan!

• Betsy Ray April 9, 2015 at 10:43 am #

Hi Ryan 🙂

It is sad… I am 50 years out and my only child is 16 years out… we feel your pain… truly.
      But … the current paradigm is even more sad because it is a direct conflict of interest to everyone who teaches you at inception to help you gain health. Most of them aren’t even educated to do so because they work in an allopathic medicine paradigm (disease treatment).

I am dedicated to assisting people with diabetes to beat the paradigm and live vibrant lives with diabetes. I don’t cost anything…. and I am a nutritionist with 50+ years of successful diabetes management under my belt in spite of not being blessed with the good genes. Now that you are out a little ways and have the medical model down come and join me to learn the nature of diabetes and how you can dance with it!

Betsy Ray
      Founder/CEO Diabetes Activist

5. Elizabeth Alderson August 10, 2014 at 11:43 am #

My daughter was diagnosed 3 months before her 3rd birthday…she is now 7. Her glucose levels seem to always be off. This past week, she’s been low…as low as 35. I was researching to see if her pancreas could just start working again when I found this article. I can not wait for this to be put on the market! Thanks you so much for your work!

• Ashley Steinbrinck August 11, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Hi Elizabeth! I’m glad you stumbled upon this article to help you find a little hope for the future! Let’s pray and hope that the Fausman Labs can get this out ASAP ; ) I wish you and your daughter well.

6. Oscar Jimenez August 13, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

Has anyone with type 1 diabetes tried the vaccine

• Ashley Steinbrinck August 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

They are in phase II of the trials. So many people have. I just received the Faustman Labs newsletter asking for type 1 diabetics who have been diagnosed for less than 20 years… if that’s you – you could be a candidate and would have to travel to Boston. But it’s worth looking into!

• Loyd Rush April 8, 2015 at 6:20 pm #

My grandson was diagnosed with type1 diabetes in February 2015.I would appreciate any and all help.Thank you.

7. Oscar Jimenez August 13, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I’m 18 was diagnosed at the age of 4 and if there’s any new info I would like to know

8. Natalee September 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Oooh, I like this. I was diagnosed a month after I turned 16, and will be 26 in January. The STRUGGLE IS REAL. My mom was also a T1, she died in a car wreck caused by hypoglycemia. My dad’s also recently become more insulin dependent even tho he’s a T2 (I think he was misdiagnosed personally).

One note to the author though, diabetes shouldn’t be holding your back your husband from giving blood, it never did my mom, and hasn’t stopped me!

9. Robert October 12, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Have there been any trials for Type 1 diabetics that have had the disease for over forty years?
    I was DX a year and ten months after my birth in 1969.

10. Betsy Ray March 19, 2015 at 9:52 am #

I truly believe in what Dr. Faustman is doing. But I caution that blood sugar dis-regulation is the symptom not the cause of a larger illness profile.
    As a 50 year diabetic (1965), a Nutritionist with a background in physiology and food biochemistry, and the Parent of a 33 year old diabetic (16 years) I have personally undergone the full spectrum of genetic and functional testing and recognize that many of the complications of diabetes have little to do with blood sugar levels. Time will tell whether the multiple nutrient deficiencies, genetic expression, and other issues of diabetes will be reversed by metabolic stabilization. I can honestly say that maybe they will… because we don’t truly know how mush of what we deal with is due to diabetes and how much is the chemicals we inject to stay alive. I am outside of her diagnosis limits but am encouraging my daughter to seek her study.

11. hamza May 19, 2015 at 2:19 pm #

Im a 22 year old and Have type 1 diabetes since 2 months . I’ve to use insulin pens 4 times a day . Does this vaccination means I’ll stop injecting insulin and my pancreas would start working again ? When would this vaccine be available for all diabetes patients ?

12. David Hayden August 11, 2015 at 3:29 pm #

I am a 58 year old male with type 1 diabetes. I have had diabetes for 20 years now. Because of the diabetes, I have many other problems. I have been diagnoised with tremors, gastro pareases, nuropathy, Congestive heart failure, I have a difibulator now, I have had 6 angioplasties, 2 open heart surgeries, Raynards, memory loss, Pad, Cad, Erectile dysfunction since 2004 and was just told that I have COPD. I am sure I have forgot more things.

I would love to have my life back. I am very willing to have this tested on me. It may help the other problems as well.

If interested, please contact me.

Sincerely,

David

• Ashley Steinbrinck August 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm #

Hi David,

I’m very sorry to hear you are having so many health issues that have hindered your quality of life. Since

we aren’t medical doctors we can’t make any recommendations for any of the conditions you’re

suffering from. You would need to be under the care of a licensed healthcare practitioner who could

help you get the proper testing and get to the root cause of what is wrong. Are you on multiple

medications?

Here is a link to Drugs.com – it may be helpful in checking for drug interactions, side effects, etc.

Many people have found great success with functional medicine MDs. You can learn about functional

medicine from Dr. Mark Hyman who also suffered many health conditions before he got well.

Have you thought about contacting Dr. Faustman to be considered part of the clinical trial on the

vaccine? If you are seeking a more natural approach to your health and wellness, you could also find

credible information from GreenMedInfo.com – it provides “convenient and open access to the

biomedical research available today on the therapeutic value of natural substances in disease

prevention and treatment.”

(Please note however, that it is not intended, nor designed to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any

disease.) It’s just a resource for you to make informed decisions about your healthcare.

Don’t give up – you have plenty of life ahead of you! We wish you all the best in finding the answers you

need to regain your health.

• David Hayden August 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm #

Hi Ashley…

Yes, I am under many doctors care… Cardiologist, Pulmonary Doctors, Iconologists, Transplant Doctors.. lol.. Vascular doctors, and I am taking a lot of medicines per day… including my insulin for my pump.. Before I got my pump in 2011, I was having to give my self 8 to 10 shots a day… I became insulin resistant… I have had diabetes since 1994.. since then .. it has tore my heart up… I now, have 2 block arteries, 100 % and no-one can fix it… I have one that is leaking…. the other ones are very good… but because I have the blocked arteries, I have trouble with my left leg… I can’t walk for more than 500 feet… because the pain is so sever I need to stop.. I have had plenty of angina this year… also fluid in my lungs… making it very difficult to breathe day or night… been carried off in the ambulance many times… the closest hospital refused me because I am a very complicated heart patient. The ED situation came on in March of 2004… It just stopped working… LOL…

Recently, I am wanting to be tested on a new heart by using my own DNA… and maybe even giving me a new pancreas.. using my own DNA… but all the doctors are laughing… saying that is not a option yet for humans… and the ones that have had this has died… So… at this point, I have no options… none at all…

I am not scared to die, I know it’s going to happen soon enough, I just don’t want to miss out on anything right now… I have been through enough… doctors are always saying, ” How are you walking and going to work everyday” LOL… you do what you need to do in life…. 🙂

Thanks again…..

David

13. David Hayden August 12, 2015 at 12:54 pm #

P.S.

I have already sent Dr. Faustman an email to be considered… 🙂

David

14. Krista L. Miller August 13, 2015 at 11:50 pm #

My daughter was diagnosed September 4th, 2014 at the age of 11. She has recently begun pump therapy, but we are both excited about the potential of this vaccine. We’ve read enough to know that the eternal mantra is “we’re 5 years away from a cure!” But this article and others like it that we’ve come across sound so promising, I just can’t help but hope it proves to be a real answer to reversing this life-threatening disease which stole my little girl’s unencumbered childhood. Since her diagnosis, we have learned of so many people we already knew whom we didn’t realize had diabetes and have met so many more along the way. Not only for my daughter’s sake, but for ALL those who fight this battle – patients and parents alike – it would be such a miracle and a blessing for this old vaccine to find a new purpose.

15. claudia August 14, 2015 at 6:44 pm #

My 10 year old son is type 1 and we have managed to keep him on minimal insulin or non when possible because we believe his pancreas is still working. When children are considered for this research, we will be open to be considered. Thank you for your fabulous work and dedication.

16. krystal January 6, 2017 at 6:08 am #

Any recent news on this? I am type 1 also… only for 5 years… but it would be nice to have life back.

17. Steven Bell October 18, 2017 at 7:23 am #

I’m a 54 year old male that pancreas is not secreting insulin. How can you help me

18. Mina Dollarhide December 14, 2017 at 7:49 am #

It’s all about diet. Good carbs are not your enemy. Check out WFPB. People are reversing type II and reducing insulin needed for type i. Let’s focus on the cause (mainly diet) and not more bandaids that line someones pockets (besides being toxic).