If someone slipped a prescription drug in your coffee every day without your consent, would you care? What if I told you that’s what happens every time you take a drink from your city tap water. If your city water is fluoridated you’re drinking an unregulated dose of a prescription medication (I use that term loosely) without your consent.
All across the country, there are battles raging over fluoridation of municipal water supplies. Are you confused – isn’t fluoride a good thing? Many natural health experts would answer with a resounding “NO!” If it isn’t good, how’d it get in our water in the first place?
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in the ground and in ground water. In some communities where natural fluoride is in abundance, it causes dental fluorosis, a yellow-brown discoloration of the teeth. This happened to some family members of mine; their children’s beautiful smiles were tarnished by permanent stains resulting in costly dental bills to have them capped. Back in the 1940′s it was discovered the same children who had the fluorosis appeared to have more resistance to dental caries (cavities). Thus a abroad assumption was made that fluoride was good for your teeth. Here’s the problem: the fluoride that’s added to your water supply is NOT naturally occurring fluoride. Even if it was, that wouldn’t make it good. Mercury is a mineral too, but would you want that in your water? More than 90% of the fluoride added to municipal drinking water is industrial waste; it’s the by-product of phosphate fertilizers, aluminum, steel and, even atomic bomb production. Way to nuke those cavities!
Fluoride Web of Deception
Here’s the Cliff Notes version…. Companies in the early 1930′s needed to find ways to dispose of their fluoride by-products. When word got out that fluoride might have some benefits, the spin doctors went to work. Through corporate influence and manipulation the government capitulated and endorsed fluoridation of our water supply. How clever of the manufacturing companies! Why spend $7,000 per tanker to dispose of the toxins when you can sell it to municipalities for $265 – $722 a ton – pure genius! ( See “Fluoridation: License to Dump Toxic Waste In The Name of Public Health”, Health Action Network, Fluoride Report No. 4, Jan (1997) To get the full story on water fluoridation see the Fluoride Action Network for all you want to know about the dangers of fluoride.
But all is not lost. Americans (and even some in the medical and government communities) are waking up to the health hazards of fluoride.
Dangers of Fluoride
- 41% of kids today have fluoridosis
- The ADA and the CDC both advise that parents not use fluoridated water to make infant formula
- Fluoride is used as an insecticide and a rat poison There’s plenty of fluoride in the food we eat!
- A toddler gets as much fluoride in their system as a 250 lb. man
- Toothpastes have warnings “keep away from children under 6 yrs. – if you swallow more than is allowed for brushing, contact a poison control center immediately” (Ever watch a little kid brush their teeth?)
- Sodium Fluorine (fluoride) is one of the basic ingredients in PROZAC® and Sarin nerve gas (yes, you read that right!)
- Hitler added fluoride to the water of concentration camps to induce compliance in prisoners.
- Fluoride increases your absorption of aluminum (a neurotoxin.) Large amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients.
- Fluoride is not an essential nutrient (ever hear of anyone dying from a fluoride deficiency?)
- It’s the only chemical added to water for “medicinal” purposes.
Effects of Fluoride
- Weakened bones and fatal bone cancer (ostosarcoma)
- hyperactivity and/or lethargy
- lowered thyroid function
- chronic fatigue
- impaired mental development, lowered IQ, and dementia
- arthritic symptoms
- disrupted immune system
As Dr. Robert Carton, former scientist at the EPA, asked
Would you brush your teeth with arsenic?” … Fluoride is somewhat less toxic than arsenic and more toxic than lead, and you wouldn’t want either of them in your mouth.
Adolf Hitler once said,
Tell a lie loud enough and long enough and people will believe it.
He surely succeeded. Isn’t it time to stop the lie?
Help do something about this! Contact the Fluoride Action Network at www.fluoridealert.com
+Mary Bloomer is an advocate for natural health and wellness and writes regularly for Natural Healthy Concepts. Visit the site today to browse a wide selection of herbal nutrition supplements, homeopathic medicine and natural skin care!
Image Source: Flickr.com
- New Scientific Data Forces Government to Reverse Its Stance on Fluoride in the Water Supply (anh-usa.org)
- Could Your Tap Consuming Water be Creating You Gain Weight? (socyberty.com)
- Why I changed My Mind About Water Fluoridation - http://fluoride-journal.com/98-31-2/312103.htm