Did you know the incidents of asthma have increased 300% in the past 20 years? May 3rd was World Asthma Day – it’s an annual event designed to improve asthma awareness and care around the world. The theme for the event this year was “You Can Control Your Asthma.” Before we give you some pointers on how Natural Healthy Concepts can help you control your asthma naturally, let’s take a closer look at some startling facts and figures about asthma from The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology on this disease:
- Approximately 300 million people suffer from asthma worldwide, and every year about 250,000 deaths are attributed to the disease.
- Working conditions can contribute to about 11% of the asthma cases (ex: exposure to fumes, gases or dusts.)
- 70% of asthmatics also suffer from allergies.
- The annual economic cost of asthma is $19.7 billion.
- Asthma accounts for 217,000 emergency room visits and 10.5 million physician office visits every year.
- The number of people with asthma continues to grow. One in 12 people (about 25 million, or 8% of the population) had asthma in 2009, compared with 1 in 14 (about 20 million, or 7%) in 2001.
Asthma is a growing problem and nothing to ignore. Would you know if you had asthma? If you do have it, have you ever made a connection between your asthma and food allergies? Do you have an annoying cough but no cold symptoms? Do you find yourself getting short of breath when you climb a flight of stairs? This happened to me a number of years ago. I was doing a lot of singing and found that I couldn’t sustain a breath for very long. I also found myself getting easily winded doing simple things like climbing stairs – but the most unusual problem I had was an annoying cough, without any cold symptoms. A trip to the doctor confirmed I had asthma. I was put on inhalers which helped for a while, but I also had some side effects, too, like headaches and nausea. Fortunately, I learned I could manage my asthma naturally and I haven’t used an inhaler for years.
It would take another article to talk about what’s causing the increase in asthma. The number of children with asthma has increased dramatically in the US. The National Vaccine Information Center questions the number of vaccines children are receiving, pointing out that in 1979 there were 2 million children with asthma, today that number has grown to 1 in 9 children with asthma. As the number of vaccines have risen in the past 20 plus years, so have the number of children with asthma. Environmental factors also play a role in the increasing asthma rates here in the US and around the globe. In addition, as pointed out in this article in mercola.com, lack of exercise, poor diet and insufficient vitamin D3 levels can also make you vulnerable to the disease.
Looking for natural solutions to control your asthma? Natural Healthy Concepts can help! You can rely on our professional grade, quality supplements to help you keep asthma attacks at bay or as a preventative from getting asthma in the first place. A few products you may want to consider are gamma-linolenic acid (borage oil) from Vital Nutrients and vitamin D3 from Ortho Molecular. We’ll work with you to find the best natural solutions to control your asthma.
Have an asthma story you’d like to share? We’d like to hear from you!
- Stress: A Serious Asthma Trigger (everydayhealth.com)